Cowling Side-Exit Holes

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a second generation Sonex or Waiex.

Cowling Side-Exit Holes

Postby NWade » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:16 pm

Would anyone out there with a B-model Sonex/Waiex be willing to post a couple of close-up pics of your cowling exits, and maybe provide some dimensions on them (height, width, distance from the rear edge of the cowl, and depth of the scoop on the interior)?

Thanks a bunch,

--Noel
Sonex #1339
NWade

Re: Cowling Side-Exit Holes

Postby Bryan Cotton » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:46 pm

Noel,
Are you doing this because it looks cool, or is there another benefit you see? I am just curious. My cowl is coming soon.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby mike20sm » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:33 pm

My guess is that when climbing out it allows the cowl exits to vent better?
Standard Sonex kit #1692
preparing workshop for arrival
http://websites.expercraft.com/mike20sm
mike20sm

Postby NWade » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:49 pm

Bryan -

Mike's on the right track... With a lifting-body fuselage shape, the underside of the Sonex cowling is essentially the underside of a wing - near the leading edge. On a wing, this is an area of relatively high pressure. This is why most Sonex cowlings have a "lip" or "ramp" at the leading edge of the cooling openings - they're being used to deflect that boundary layer of air away from the fuselage (separating the flow) so that a low-pressure eddy is formed behind the lip to pull the air out of the cowling.

That all works fine and there's nothing wrong with doing it that way - as hundreds of flying Sonex & Waiex planes prove. Unless you want to tinker a bunch, it's probably the easiest and fastest way to get your airplane in the air reliably.

However, to my mind it's not the most-efficient solution. Additionally, I am building an Aerovee Turbo and want to provide the best passive convection I can (when taxiing & after shutdown), while still keeping the cowling simple. Side exits should allow for better heat dissipation in this situation, and may also provide improved cooling drag by being in an area with less high pressure than the underside of the fuselage (requiring smaller - or even no - lip at the leading edge of the opening).

The B Model clearly has adopted this cooling system, and a brief email exchange with the factory has convinced me that it should work on my original Sonex as well (despite the slightly different fuselage shape) - but I'm on my own to experiment with it and come up with something that works. I'm hoping to understand the exact dimensions of the B Model's cowling openings so that I can use them as a baseline.

--Noel
Sonex #1339
NWade

Postby drPete » Sun May 14, 2017 7:44 am

On a B-model Xenos, the optional cowl vents are parallel 2" from the aft edge of the cowl for a vertical opening of approximately 9-1/2" and 3-1/2" wide. The vents are part numbers SNB-P16-06L & R.

The drawing incorrectly calls for part numbers -P13-05L and -05R in detail P "Locating Optional Cowling Vents".
Pete
Xenos-B s/n XNB0010
xenos.n25xb@gmail.com

drPete

Postby bvolcko38 » Sun May 14, 2017 11:05 am

I am building a Xenos A model and I've always thought that the side cowling vent were a better idea along with moveable side cowl flaps that can be closed for soaring with engine off. That would eliminate a lot of cooling drag IMHO.
Bill Volcko XNS0068
Xenos A N68WV 99% flush rivets
Aerovee and Prince P-Tip
MGL Discovery Lite w/ Sandia STX 165R
V6
First hole 4/1/16
First flight 8/24/18
Phase I complete...finally!!!
Also flying a Challenger II since 1999
bvolcko38

Postby n502pd » Sun May 14, 2017 10:26 pm

NWade wrote:Would anyone out there with a B-model Sonex/Waiex be willing to post a couple of close-up pics of your cowling exits, and maybe provide some dimensions on them (height, width, distance from the rear edge of the cowl, and depth of the scoop on the interior)?

Thanks a bunch,

--Noel
Sonex #1339

I too am interested in the side vents. Are they not simple louvers? I have not heard of scoops on the interior, but maybe so! I do have a 25% larger belly opening with the appropriate seaplane lip installed per plans. I have taken a picture of a Sonex at Osh 16 with the louvers, but did not investigate the interior for scoops.

Joe
Joe Nelsen
scratch built :D
Sirpeedee, N502PD, s/n 1510, Aero Vee 2.1 s/n 0870,
ADS-B in (Stratux)/out(SkyBeacon)
Flying @78.2
KGYI/N. Tx Reg/Perrin Field
EAA Technical Counselor, Chapter 323, Sherman, TX
n502pd

Postby WaiexN143NM » Mon May 15, 2017 1:38 am

Hi all,
I purchased a pair of the b vents from sonex. I think they were about $122 for the pair. Fiberglass and gel coated. L & R. They have a flange to mount on cowl. Either glass them in, or i riveted mine on. Yes there is a big scoop on the inside.

WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM

Postby drPete » Tue May 16, 2017 7:18 pm

The plans call for "... bonding with polyester compativle [sic] resin".

LOL - The first of several spelling errors.
Pete
Xenos-B s/n XNB0010
xenos.n25xb@gmail.com

drPete

Postby n502pd » Tue May 16, 2017 8:03 pm

Thanks for the replys, gentlemen! maybe in the future after first series of flight tests. And dont worry about spelling...I was never hired as a speller, or writer for that matter!!
Joe Nelsen
scratch built :D
Sirpeedee, N502PD, s/n 1510, Aero Vee 2.1 s/n 0870,
ADS-B in (Stratux)/out(SkyBeacon)
Flying @78.2
KGYI/N. Tx Reg/Perrin Field
EAA Technical Counselor, Chapter 323, Sherman, TX
n502pd

Next

Return to Sonex-B / Waiex-B