Canopy fastening

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Onex.

Canopy fastening

Postby Tnhelm » Fri May 16, 2014 6:24 pm

There are a few RV builders that are bonding their canopy down instead of fastening it with screws. Anybody considering the same for Sonex/OneX?
Tnhelm

Re: Canopy fastening

Postby DCASonex » Sat May 17, 2014 6:19 pm

Bonded mine on Sonex TD. Have seen several others bonded. First attempt was with Sonex canopy, cracked over first night. Second canopy Todd's, going on three years, no cracks. Some have good luck with Sonex canopies, and problem may not even be applicable to Onex. But if wanting to see how I bonded mine, write-up, drawings and photos are posted on now closed Yahoo SonexPlans forum on on and on older but still active Yahoo Sonex Builders forum. Files section; under heading: Modifications to Sonex #1327. If no access to that, contact me directly.

Anyone know of a good way to add those files to this site while retaining the main and sub directories structure ?

David A.
DCASonex

Re: Canopy fastening

Postby jaywa » Mon May 19, 2014 12:39 am

I made up a bonded canopy for test flying ( made from a cracked canopy ) , out of desperation having cracked 3 canopies prior to that. I have eventually succeeded in installing a conventional canopy without cracking , keeping the bonded one as a spare.
I'm located in Australia, so freight costs for canopies outweigh the cost price

Jaywa
jaywa

Return to Onex