Onex Instrument panels

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Onex.

Onex Instrument panels

Postby Hap Hazard » Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:48 pm

Hi all,
More questions, I have to add some more avionics to my panel and want to generally tidy it all up.
Although I can’t find any reference to it, is the instrument panel itself considered a stressed airframe member?
I am thinking of having a carbon fibre instrument panel made up if it isn’t considered a stressed member.
I brought a flying Onex which has an instrument that’s bolted in, not riveted in BTW….

Regards,
HH
Hap Hazard

Re: Onex Instrument panels

Postby DBrown » Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:21 am

I don't see why using carbon fiber would be less strong than the aluminum panel that's in it. I would be more concerned about corrosion forming where you attach it. If you are just going for the Carbon fiber look, you can have your new panel hydro dipped easily. I did this in my Mooney when I cut the new panel & the results were awesome.
ATP, CFII, MEI, A&P, IA
Onex N161X
DBrown

Re: Onex Instrument panels

Postby Scott Todd » Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:40 am

There is one of those urban myths. Unless you are going to store it out in the rain and expect it to last 50 years without any love, You shouldn't worry about corrosion. Its like when people say the steel rivets will corrode against the aluminum. Sonex says its structural so I left it in there. A friend had started my Onex and had the panel installed with the screws to make it easier to remove for service. It wasn't easy enough for me so I made it hinge down. I think I preserved the structural intent and made it accessible. He did the original with the Carbon looking vinyl and there was enough left over for me to do the second panel with the same stuff. I thought it was an easy solution that's durable and won't scratch as easy as paint.
Attachments
IMG_2885.jpg
IMG_2885.jpg (123.02 KiB) Viewed 336 times
IMG_2377.jpg
IMG_2377.jpg (135.91 KiB) Viewed 336 times
Scott Todd

Return to Onex