Onex fuel sight level guage

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Onex.

Onex fuel sight level guage

Postby Hap Hazard » Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:43 pm

Been moseying through the Onex drawings.
How easy is it to fit the fuel sight level gauge option to the tank that’s featured in the drawings? As I haven’t had the glare shield off my Onex yet, I am not sure what standard plumbing comes with the tank. The drawings show a couple of 1/8 thread plugs, one at the top rear and one at the bottom. I assume this is where the sight tube gets plumbed into….
Regards,
HH
Hap Hazard

Re: Onex fuel sight level guage

Postby JohnH » Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:59 pm

Over the last few years I have unsuccessfully tried to calibrate my Onex MGL Xtreme fuel gauge system and it seems that working with 3 different technologies (Sonex, MGL and Princeton) is difficult, plus Princeton is no longer in business. So I have now decided to also install some sort of fuel level sight glass system and would appreciate also hearing from anyone who has done it, with particular reference to the plumbing and does the fuel tank require drilling and what fittings (...Oops fittings?) work best and what material and size should the sight glass be.
Many thanks
JohnH
JohnH

Postby 13brv3 » Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:31 am

I haven't seen any sight tubes, and the last thing I'd want to do personally is add a number of potential leaks in the cockpit. I have heard of people using small cameras behind the panel to view the level on the tank, or even cut a vertical slot in the panel to see it directly. You'd probably have to provide a light source maybe attached to the tank somewhere.

As for Princeton sensors, I had fits with mine until we realized that the new company who took over manufacturing them neglected to leave a ground wire attachment. Once I made a clamp to provide ground, it's worked well with my Dynon.
Rusty
Onex- Rotax 912 (130 hours and counting)
Fixed wing, gyroplane, A&P
13brv3

Postby T41pilot » Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:32 am

For those still interested in Princeton fuel level senders, Red Avionics bought the rights and is producing their type of hardware.
Gregg Kaat
Sonex B #0014
T41pilot

Postby Bryan Cotton » Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:17 pm

I have a fuel camera. Turns on with a switch, and a tank light turns on at the same time. It works ok but there is probably a more optimum way to light the tank so it is not too dark and not washed out.
https://youtube.com/shorts/rAUjAJ73rN0
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Return to Onex