Onex Wing Panel Removal

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Onex.

Onex Wing Panel Removal

Postby ac8ca » Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:01 pm

Hi all,

I'm in the process of going to pick up a Onex, and am planning to trailer it home. I'm trying to figure out what tools and how much time I'll need to budget to remove the wing panels. Any advice?

Thanks!
ac8ca

Re: Onex Wing Panel Removal

Postby XenosN42 » Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:51 pm

I think 1 to 1-1/2 hours should be enough. You’ll need a standard set of SAE wrenches. I think you’ll use the 3/8 and 1/2” ones, but doesn’t hurt to have a full set on hand. Needle nose pliers to remove cotter pins. Small flat screwdriver to remove screws in he inspection panels. Bring a small Phillips too in case they used those.

Good luck and enjoy your new plane.
-- Michael
OneX N169XE
author of the 'Flight Data Viewer'
XenosN42

Re: Onex Wing Panel Removal

Postby lgsievila » Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:21 am

Getting the wings off shouldn't take to long but getting the outboard wing panels ready for transit will take some time. Don't know what your plan is for that but I carried mine vertical in the back of my pickup. I used some 2"thick hi density styrofoam to cut supports for the leading edges. Also had styrofoam between the panels with 2x 4 supports. Also I built a 2x4 support for the aft fuselage so the tail could be tied down without putting too much pressure on tail wheel. Also removed the prop as I was hauling it over 1900 miles. Could have flown it to my new residence but I wanted the trailer that I specifically built for my Onex at my new home so I could go back and forth to the airport when I was doing any manitenance(annuals, etc). Send me your email in a pm if you want and I'll send you some pictures-too much trouble posting pics on this site as I don't have a hosting site.
Loren Sievila
Conventional Gear Onex33
CAMit 2200
Dynon Skyview
lgsievila

Return to Onex