any fueling tricks and advice?

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Onex.

any fueling tricks and advice?

Postby 13brv3 » Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:06 pm

Greetings,

I have to admit that in a year of flying, I haven't fueled my plane from an airport fuel pump yet. Since I haven't gone anywhere far enough to require fueling away from home, I've only used a 12v pump from 5 gal jugs with the ultimate amount of caution. Even when I tested the Rotax with 100LL, I just filled my jugs at the pump. I consider the through-the-windscreen fueling to be the worst feature of the Onex, and can easily imagine it causing fuel related disasters away from my home airport. If I'm not mistaken, polycarbonate and gasoline don't play well together.

Does anyone have any advise for protecting the windscreen and glareshield from spills? I can imagine a large flexible funnel of some sort, but haven't really looked for such a thing.

Thanks,
Rusty (might actually go somewhere eventually)
Rusty
Onex- Rotax 912 (130 hours and counting)
Fixed wing, gyroplane, A&P
13brv3

Re: any fueling tricks and advice?

Postby daleandee » Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:23 pm

I have no idea how different the Onex is over the Sonex but FWIW:

1) I'm the only person that puts fuel in my plane. Usually the line person doesn't mind handing me the nozzle.

2) Put the nozzle in and point it towards the cockpit or fuel will splash back out of the filler neck.

3) Watch the fuel fill carefully as some nozzles will not stop as they should when the level comes up.

4) I use towels around the opening in case of fuel spillage as they may be enough to catch a splash or over flow. In any case they may give me a few precious seconds to get fuel away from the windscreen.

5) Check the sensitivity of the fuel flow rate of the handle when you first start adding fuel. Some will regulate and others will only flow off or wide open.

6) Of course you must make sure of the fuel type, ground the plane, and be sure to secure the cap and access door (if applicable).

7) Enjoy the ride!
daleandee

Postby GraemeSmith » Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:32 pm

Everything Daleandee says and knock yourself out with this document too!

https://www.skyharbor.com/docs/default-source/default-document-library/fuel-handlers-study-guide-(1).pdf
Last edited by GraemeSmith on Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Postby Bryan Cotton » Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:37 pm

Somebody had a recommendation to buy this and use it to cover the windshield for fueling:
https://www.harborfreight.com/solid-non ... 65565.html

The one I bought from harbor freight seems smaller. The idea would be applicable to the Onex.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby 13brv3 » Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:02 pm

The Onex is very different from the other models. The fuel cap is INSIDE the windscreen. A rubber mat of some sort with a molded wide mouth funnel would be nice. I'd certainly never let anyone else fuel it, but I'm certainly not perfect, and one day it would happen.

Graeme- I couldn't get that link to work.

Rusty
Attachments
ONX0085 0193.jpg
ONX0085 0302.jpg
Rusty
13brv3

Postby GraemeSmith » Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:19 pm

Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Postby onex28 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:22 am

I use a rectangular silicone food prep mat with a hole cut in the middle smaller than than my Onex windscreen hole over the windscreen and follow Dale’s points. The fuel nozzle pressure should be known first. Works fine for my fueling.

Onex tri gear
Revmaster 2300
Sandia 165
MGL 10
Grand Rapids EIS
ADSB in/out
LRI
onex28

Postby 13brv3 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:17 am

I've been thinking of a mat with a hole at least, but it would be nice if there was a way to form a depression in the middle to fit just inside the filler neck. I'll come up with something, or just stay home :-)

Thanks,
Rusty
Rusty
13brv3

Postby Onex107 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:57 pm

That is a Onex problem that does not have a perfect answer. A drop of fuel on the windshield will cause a stress crack. Using a cloth will still allow fuel to go through to the windshield if the spill is big enough. And -- a fuel proof cover that ends at the bottom of the windshield will allow spilled fuel to run around the bottom edge of the windshield and that will cause a hundred edge cracks. It eventually cost me a new windshield. I did put a material like the drawer liner around the hole, about an inch, tapering down to the bottom of the windshield. That helped, and did not hurt forward vision, but before I bought the 12 volt pump I had a spill from holding a five gallon can up there that ruined the bottom edge. Like you, I never had to use 100 LL and the 12 volt pump solved my problem. To be completely safe you need a fuel proof cover that protects all the edges, around the hole, and out on the cowling, away from the bottom edge. Ideally it would also enter the fuel tank to prevent a spill on the glare shield. A spill there will run down to the side and crack the side edges. Happy crack prevention.

Onex 107
Sold to a Toronto car collector that is not a pilot but needed an airplane in his large hangar to satisfy the airport authority. An interesting story.
OneX 107
N2107X
Onex107

Postby Bryan Cotton » Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:21 am

13brv3 wrote:I've been thinking of a mat with a hole at least, but it would be nice if there was a way to form a depression in the middle to fit just inside the filler neck. I'll come up with something, or just stay home :-)

Thanks,
Rusty

One of my hobbies is sewing. There is material out there, like vinyl coated nylon, which is pretty impervious to stuff. It is used in some hovercraft skirts. You could make a cone to sew onto a rectangle, then cut out the hole in the middle for your funnel. You can glue that fabric together too.

Maybe make a sketch of the relevant geometry and I'll see if I can put together something from scrap I've got. Then we could share the pattern with the Onex community.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Next

Return to Onex