found info on ONEX rudder problem

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Onex.

found info on ONEX rudder problem

Postby rick9mjn » Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:01 am

please; FORGIVE me if this is listed elsewhere. "i not could find it"
,here is a u tube link """ https://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/foru ... mmm.39097/"" the real info / problem is at 1;42 min. if the link does not work, please do a search on u-tube for " I almost died. (Sonex Onex)"....
and here is the imbedded answer from """KERRY FORES...........
good day be safe / rick...................................>>>
From Sonex Technical Support,

We are in contact with Justin on this issue. Before knee-jerk reactions and wholesale panic sets in among the Sonex community, please read this.

The most likely reason for this failure is the NON-STANDARD, NON-SONEX tailwheel pushrod. The top-mounted pushrod on this aircraft was prying the the rudder drive rib down. The kit-provided pushrod and installation has the tailwheel pushrod mounted UNDER the drive horn. This was a builder modification that was not thought out. Many builder modifications and "improvements" lead to unintended consequences. We see it all the time

The proper, Sonex-designed tailwheel push-rod has been [proven since it went in service in 1998 and no other aircraft has experienced this failure. There is no need to "beef up" the design. There is only a need to follow the plans provided with the parts provided. Buying a second-hand homebuilt is fraught with thousands of unknowns. Having one inspected by an A&P does not make an aircraft airworthy, it only makes it legal for the FAA. If you buy a used homebuilt, plan to go through every page of the plans to root out builder modifications or hire an inspector who is willing to do so.

Kerry Fores
Sonex Technical Support Manager
rick9mjn

Re: found info on ONEX rudder problem

Postby Scott Todd » Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:23 am

Scott Todd

Re: found info on ONEX rudder problem

Postby jolson » Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:18 am

Thanks Kerry for the update.

I'm currently building a Onex and noticed the pushrod differences from both the plans and the pushrod provided in the kit.
Joe Olson
Huntsville, AL
Onex 227
Tailwheel, Aerovee
jolson

Return to Onex