interested in building onex

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Onex.

interested in building onex

Postby dfcpac » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:08 pm

hi all
my name is dan, located on long island ny. i'm very interested in building the onex looking for advice and best way to order

thanks
dan carley
dfcpac

Re: interested in building onex

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:58 pm

Hi Dan,

Welcome to the site! I'm really glad to hear that you're interested in the Onex. It looks like an awesome little airplane, and sure looks like a fun one to build. I know you'll love it!

First off, where do you live on Long Island? I fly into ISP on a very regular basis for business.

Second, ordering is all on the main website ( www.sonexaircraft.com ). Before you order, you'll want to think about what sort of configuration you'd like. You will need to decide if you want to add the following options: pre-assembled wing spars, machined angle kit, tri-gear option, etc.

You'll also be able to find a list of tool recommendations on the website.

Best of luck, and keep us up to date on the build progress!
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby fastj22 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:06 pm

If you are really serious about building, and ready to pull the trigger, I'd suggest attending a Sonex builders clinic in Oshkosh first. They give you a real good idea of what you are getting into and if you are ready to buy put money down, will give comp the clinic fee. Talking to Jeremy and team and touring the shop will give you a great idea of what you are getting into.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Postby dfcpac » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:57 am

hi mike,
i live in center moriches and fly out of lufkers 49n, i have a americian champ i'm flying now. where do you keep your plane,would like to see it one day. not sure if i will order the kit complete or by sub kits. don't know how much you save that way. i'm goint to give them a call this week

danny
dfcpac

Postby Bryan Cotton » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:47 am

Danny,
I don't know if you found the builder search on the Sonex website or not, if not look here:
http://builder.sonexaircraft.com/cgi-bin/search.pl

You can plug in a radius from home base and see who is out there that you could visit. From your location with the Champ you have LI, RI, and my former home of CT close by.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby GordonTurner » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:52 am

Hi Dan,

I live in Rocky Point (North Shore, east of Pt Jeff). I'm building a Waiex. If you want to come look I'd be happy to show you around, and it would be great to have a fellow builder in the vicinity.

Mike, I too would love to see your plane at ISP sometime, it's not far away. Glad to hear you're traveling in her as I'm looking to get around too someday soon.

Cheers, Gordon
Waiex 158 New York. N88YX registered.
3.0 Liter Corvair built, run, and installed.
Garmin panel, Shorai LiFePo batteries.
GordonTurner

Postby dfcpac » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:16 pm

hi gordon,
i would like to take a look at your project, when ever it's convenient for you. your only 15 minutes away

dan
dfcpac

Postby dfcpac » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:16 pm

i do have some questions, i would definitely get the machined angle components but how hard it it to put the spars together? is there some bucking rivets that have to be done? is the kit all pop rivets? or are there some bucking involved. i never did any.

danny carley
dfcpac

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:31 pm

Hi Danny and Gordon, my apologies for the confusion. I have never flown my Waiex into ISP. I don't have a transponder in my airplane which would make Class C operations a problem. I fly corporate; lately, I've been flying a KingAir 350 into ISP. We park at Hawthorne Global.

Regardless, I'd still be happy to check out your build sometime Gordon, as well as meet and say hi to you Danny.

As for your questions Danny, the main spar is assembled using solid (AN470) rivets that have to be either bucked, or if you are okay with Sonex's alternate procedures, using a bolt and hammer to drive the rivets. On my Waiex it was an easy job, but I don't have folding wings. I'm not sure how complex the wing folding hinge location is to fabricate. I'm sure it can be done however. Besides the main wing spars, the rest of the airplane is assembled using stainless steel pop rivets.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask us!

Thank you
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby Mike53 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:35 pm

Hi Danny.
I didn't buy the built spars and instead bought a c-frame from Cleveland tools .I have never done any solid rivet work before and found it very easy .I consider Sonex's price for the built spars way to high for the amount of work involved.With the money saved I can upgrade my panel.
The machined angle parts are well worth the cost.
Good luck .
Mike Onex 80
Mike
I know but one freedom, and that is the freedom of the mind.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Reserved C-FONX for the 80th Onex,Hummel 85HP ,Tri gear,GRT Mini X EFIS,and EMS,iFly 740 GPS
Mike53

Next

Return to Onex