interested in building onex

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Onex.

Re: interested in building onex

Postby dfcpac » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:42 am

i've been trying to figure out the total cost of the plane, with the machined parts they build the spar engine and excessories,plus shipping and crating. does anyone know the total price.

danny
dfcpac

Postby Mike53 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:02 am

http://www.sonexaircraft.com/kits/pricing.html#onex
It's all here,very easy to figure for what you want.Go to Aerovee engines pricing for that info,again very straight foreword .
For shipping ,no one can tell you that except Sonex.
Good Luck,and hope you decide to go ahead.It's a great kit .
Mike
Mike
I know but one freedom, and that is the freedom of the mind.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Reserved C-FONX for the 80th Onex,Hummel 85HP ,Tri gear,GRT Mini X EFIS,and EMS,iFly 740 GPS
Mike53

Postby Bryan Cotton » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:26 am

For my Waiex, domestic crating was $200. The prebuilt spar crating was another $75. Freight charges from Oshkosh to Poplar Grove, IL were another $300. I might guess that price varies with distance and fuel prices.

When I was trying to figure out all the costs I asked Sonex for a shipping estimate which they provided. They are happy to do so. I missed the hardware costs somehow in my initial figuring.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby Sonex1517 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:42 am

I did a long and detailed search before buying the kit and got several pieces of great advice

First, as mentioned - go to the Sonex web site and look up the hardware costs. Hardware is not included in the kit and while it is easy to find the cost, it is also easy to miss. This can be significant if you are on a budget. The hardware lists are not perfect - you will buy stuff that is not on the list. (Not much, but it does factor in)

Second, if you are a first time builder add at least 10% for replacement parts. If you buy a kit, you may be able to build it without replacing any parts. But in reality, you need to plan for it. Replacement parts must be shipped - sometimes the shipping cost exceeds the part cost. It happens.

Third, tools - air compressor, clecos, hand tools, power tools, etc - the list Sonex provides is basic. The tools alone can be expensive.

Also - do not buy avionics or fancy panel stuff until you need it. The technology and products advance at an astounding rate.

I went into this build with a fairly good idea of those costs and so far have had few surprises.

Blue skies!
Robbie

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
325+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

Postby dfcpac » Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:43 pm

it seems to me around the 30k plus mark. i don't have tools and will need to get it painted, that's a awful lot for a single place aircraft with little avionics

danny
dfcpac

Postby radfordc » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:40 pm

dfcpac wrote:that's a awful lot for a single place aircraft with little avionics

What are you comparing it to? A single place Challenger ( http://www.quadcitychallenger.com/qc-mods.html ) quick built kit with engine and instruments is over 20K and has far less performance.

The cheapest way to buy a nice airplane is on Barnstormers, Craig's List, etc. You can always find a good used plane cheaper than building one from a kit. I bought my Sonex for 20K.
radfordc

Postby Sonex1517 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:05 pm

dfcpac wrote:it seems to me around the 30k plus mark. i don't have tools and will need to get it painted, that's a awful lot for a single place aircraft with little avionics

danny

I respectfully disagree. It is incredibly affordable for a brand new customized aircraft. If you price even LSA models that are new, the costs exceed $80,000 and often exceed $100,000 - and then there is maintenance.

When I finish Sonex 1517 I estimate total cost to be about $35,000 with avionics. I will hold the repairman's certificate for the airplane, it will be brand new, and it will be customized.

Aviation is not cheap, unfortunately.

I also choose to drive older cars and manage my life so flying is part of it.

I doubt many experimental aviation participants would agree that $28,000 to $40,000 is a lot of money for what the product is. Also keep in mind the avionics available to experimental aircraft far exceed those for certified aircraft...

I respect your opinion, but I have to disagree with it.

Robbie
Sonex 1517

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
325+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

Postby dfcpac » Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:53 pm

not complaining about the price, i've been in aviation 30 plus years, i have a real nice 1971 American champ it's lsa that i fly now. i always wanted to build a plane. so i do have to buy tools and other things. just trying to justify the project. i like the idea of folding wings easy for storage and inexpensive to fly. also it seems like an easy kit for the first time builder. and i do have something to fly while i'm building. just want to make the right choice

danny
dfcpac

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:55 pm

Sonex1517 wrote:
When I finish Sonex 1517 I estimate total cost to be about $35,000 with avionics. I will hold the repairman's certificate for the airplane, it will be brand new, and it will be customized.

Aviation is not cheap, unfortunately.

When Waiex kit #0056 first flew, I had a total investment of right around $30,000. Since then I've added more for hydraulic brakes, AHRS system, an interior kit, etc. If you add everything up I think I'm around the $32,000 mark all said and done. Someday, I'd like to add a transponder and few other goodies which will add more to my running total. Of course, if I ever win the lottery, a Jabiru 3300 will add quite a bit more!

I think your estimate of right around $30,000 for a complete Onex, including pre assembled spars and angle kit, is probably pretty accurate. Of course, if you decide to add a lot of fancy avionics, fancy paint, etc. that will add to the cost.

One more item to consider; the airplanes themselves (Sonex, Waiex, Onex) are incredible airplanes; easy to fly, easy to build, and also easy to maintain. I completely rebuilt my AeroVee this summer for less than $1,000 total. As compared to factory airplanes, even your Champ is more expensive to maintain for routine items. A total oil change for an AeroVee is around $25. Spark plugs are $1.99 each. New cylinders are around $100 each. I could go on, but you get the idea.

I spent some time in a Champ getting tailwheel time a few summers ago. It's a blast to fly, but in my opinion, a Onex is in a whole new level. More fun to fly, faster, aerobatic, cheaper to maintain, and still LSA compliant.

Have fun!
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby Trevor Doig » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:12 am

Hi, I too am interested in building a Onex. I am nearly 75 years old, all my relatives think I am mad to take it on now. I have only been flying for 4 years and currently fly a Tecnam Echo. I live in New Zealand. I was a mechanic 45 years ago, but that was a very long time ago. What do you guys recon? Trev
Trevor Doig

PreviousNext

Return to Onex