interested in building onex

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Onex.

Re: interested in building onex

Postby Bryan Cotton » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:21 am

Trev,
I recon the rest of your years are yours. If you are in good health that could be a lot of years to build and fly. The more you are willing to spend on options, like the machined angle parts or prebuilt spars, the less time you will spend building. There is nothing wrong with a little madness. I find it keeps me sane!
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby Mike53 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:28 am

Trevor Doig wrote:Hi, I too am interested in building a Onex. I am nearly 75 years old, all my relatives think I am mad to take it on now. I have only been flying for 4 years and currently fly a Tecnam Echo. I live in New Zealand. I was a mechanic 45 years ago, but that was a very long time ago. What do you guys recon? Trev

Hi Trev.
Everyone needs something to keep active,some people golf,some travel ,and some build airplanes.Those that sit around watching tv usually succumb to the sheer boredom.
If I were you I would order the tail kit and see how you like it and go from there.Either sell it if it's not for you or order the rest of the kits ,either way you will have given it a fair shake.
Learning to fly at 71 is something in itself and I,m betting you have what it takes.
Cheers,
Mike
Mike
I know but one freedom, and that is the freedom of the mind.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Reserved C-FONX for the 80th Onex,Hummel 85HP ,Tri gear,GRT Mini X EFIS,and EMS,iFly 740 GPS
Mike53

Postby onex28 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:41 am

I'm in my 77th year and building my 3rd plane, a ONEX. Finished my T51 at age 71. If you have the desire, don't hesitate, get started, you will be glad you did.

David
N351D
N951X (reserved)
onex28

Previous

Return to Onex