Takeoff Distance

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Onex.

Re: Takeoff Distance

Postby GordonTurner » Sun Jun 19, 2022 5:39 pm

If there’s a crosswind you may find it beneficial to hold aft stick through at least most of the acceleration to keep the steering of the Tailwheel as effective as possible.
Waiex 158 New York. N88YX registered.
3.0 Liter Corvair built, run, and installed.
Garmin panel, Shorai LiFePo batteries.
GordonTurner

Postby 13brv3 » Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:07 pm

I do something similar on takeoff. At initial throttle up, I have the stick back until the plane is rolling, then I relax it to neutral to leave the tailwheel on the ground for steering assistance at lower speeds. Once I'm up to about 30 (not really looking at the airspeed), I push forward on the stick to get the tail off the ground, but I keep it lower than level attitude since I have very little prop clearance. I just let it fly around 60-70. I haven't tried using any flaps on takeoff, but maybe I should.

Rusty (Onex 912UL)
Rusty
Onex- Rotax 912 (130 hours and counting)
Fixed wing, gyroplane, A&P
13brv3

Postby XenosN42 » Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:14 pm

13brv3 wrote:I do something similar on takeoff. At initial throttle up, I have the stick back until the plane is rolling, then I relax it to neutral to leave the tailwheel on the ground for steering assistance at lower speeds. Once I'm up to about 30 (not really looking at the airspeed), I push forward on the stick to get the tail off the ground, but I keep it lower than level attitude since I have very little prop clearance. I just let it fly around 60-70. I haven't tried using any flaps on takeoff, but maybe I should.

Rusty (Onex 912UL)

I have found that using half (15 degrees) does make a difference if you’re looking for a short takeoff roll in the OneX.
-- Michael
OneX N169XE
author of the 'Flight Data Viewer'
XenosN42

Postby 13brv3 » Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:50 pm

XenosN42 wrote:I have found that using half (15 degrees) does make a difference if you’re looking for a short takeoff roll in the OneX.

Thanks. I'll put it on the list of things to try. I've never made any attempt to optimize takeoff distance since I already don't use much of our 6500 ft runway.

Rusty
Rusty
Onex- Rotax 912 (130 hours and counting)
Fixed wing, gyroplane, A&P
13brv3

Postby DCASonex » Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:55 am

I fly my Sonex TD (CAMit 3300) from a hill top runway with a lot of unpredictable air currents but a good long runway. I have found it best to lift the tail, to keep it glued to the ground until comfortably above flying speed so that I do not lift off as a result of a brief increase in head wind, only to be dropped back down again when past that zone of wind, or enter a dead wind zone.

David A.
DCASonex

Postby pilotyoung » Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:28 pm

Wes,

Since I have always taken off in a 3 point attitude I did not understand your comments about pitch control. Today I flew the Onex to four other airports and did full stop landings at each one. During each takeoff, I raised the tail and went down the runway on two wheels. When I rotated, I realized the pitch is very sensitive and I understood your comments. Next time I fly I am going to try your method of putting the stick full forward from the start.

Thanks for your comments.

John
pilotyoung

Postby WesRagle » Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:33 pm

Hey John,

I think with my instructors method (which by proxy is my method) you are actively involved in the control of the aircraft from the moment you advance the throttle. Also, with a cross wind, the transition from tailwheel steering to rudder steering will be smooth.

Joe Norris, also a flight instructor, seems to prefer the same method.
Ref.: https://sonexbuilders.net/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=5789&hilit=pattern+work&start=10#p43758

I think it's the most difficult takeoff method to perfect but has its advantages.

One thing to watch out for. During touch and goes don't fall into the trap of lifting the tail before putting power back in. That can get a little exciting :-)

Good Luck,

Wes
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Hummel 2400 w/Zenith Carb
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

Postby pilotyoung » Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:05 am

Being a fairly new tailwheel pilot, I don't do touch and goes in the Onex but thanks for the warning.
pilotyoung

Postby GraemeSmith » Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:54 am

Generally:

My Legacy Sonex at 975lb with AeroVee 2.1 will break ground at about 800ft on a standard day.

I find no benefit to ANY flaps - yes the plane breaks ground earlier but then doesn't accelerate so well and does not climb out over an obstacle so well. (So if the ground was very rough and there were no obstacles I might employ the technique).

After a lot of messing around figuring it - I neutralize the elevators as soon as the plane starts rolling to minimize drag and just let her fly off per Sonex recommendation. Steering for crosswinds - if needed - being achieved with aileron into wind and some opposite rudder. Which means as you break ground you are already set up to track centerline. and can adjust into a "controls neutral" crab fairly readily.

I find no benefit to lifting the tail early. The energy used to do so is no longer contributing to take off acceleration.

With a 6" tailwheel - this works for winds up to 19 knots direct cross wind (though that is pretty sporty and I tend to use 10 knots as my limit) at which point the tailwheel loses adhesion on a dry pavement.

YMMV.
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Postby pilotyoung » Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:01 am

Graeme,

Thanks for your reply. I have been taking off with 1 notch of flaps since I bought the Onex. The seller told me to do it. I will try no flaps next time I fly it.
pilotyoung

PreviousNext

Return to Onex