Canopy ground ventilation latch?

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Onex.

Canopy ground ventilation latch?

Postby 13brv3 » Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:48 pm

Greetings,

I've seen a few people using various versions of the dual hook latch to provide a partially open canopy for ground ventilation. The height of the ground latch seems to vary, often limited by the size angle people can find. These guys seem to offer a super tall option, but somewhat pricey. https://www.airward.com/collections/son ... nditioning

How far do you need to hold the canopy open to get sufficient airflow? It wouldn't seem like you'd need much, and probably not as much at the one listed above.

Anyone else have a different solution to the ground ventilation problem? I have one of Peter's latches to install, so likely I'll do all this at once. I'm sort of leaning toward welding an extension to the current hook.

Thanks,
Rusty
Rusty
Onex- Rotax 912 (130 hours and counting)
Fixed wing, gyroplane, A&P
13brv3

Re: Canopy ground ventilation latch?

Postby karmarepair » Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:58 pm

The Sonex I flew in Arizona this April had a double latch, and the extra notch opened the canopy about 2-3 inches, which seemed like enough when the plane was moving. It was a sunny day, in the low 80s?

I'm a better fabricator by far than I am a welder. And the offered price from Airward seems reasonable to me.
karmarepair

Postby 13brv3 » Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:54 am

Thanks for the comments. The way the windscreen slopes, it would seem like a lot of air would get channeled into a small opening at the front of the canopy, so it's hard to imagine you'd need that 5" open position of the Airward unit. Of course you could just cut off the last notch, or just ignore it I suppose. I'm not the best welder, but I don't let that stop me :-)

It seems like there should be some other option for a prop rod, or other hold-open device. Just curious if anyone used something different from the somewhat normal dual hook?

Rusty
Rusty
13brv3

Postby Onex107 » Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:14 pm

I just added a second notch below the original one using the aluminum welding rod sold in the fly market. The guy demonstrates it by welding alum. cans. Use a propane torch and don't put the rod in the flame. Just heat the "V" groove until the rod melts when it touches. Plenty of air.
OneX 107
N2107X
Onex107

Postby 13brv3 » Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:36 pm

Onex107 wrote:I just added a second notch below the original one using the aluminum welding rod sold in the fly market. The guy demonstrates it by welding alum. cans. Use a propane torch and don't put the rod in the flame. Just heat the "V" groove until the rod melts when it touches. Plenty of air.

How tall is the second notch, and how well does it work?

I've seen some impressive demonstrations with the aluminum brazing rods, and I probably even have some. Since I also have a TIG welder, that would be my first choice. Just adding the second notch for ground use wouldn't be all that critical, so the attachment method probably isn't all that critical.

Rusty
Rusty
13brv3

Postby Onex107 » Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:32 am

The second addition is about the same size as the first one. You don't need much of an opening. The prop blast provides the air flow.
OneX 107
N2107X
Onex107

Postby 13brv3 » Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:23 pm

Since I had a couple days of non-flying weather, I brought the hook home yesterday after making some measurements. I figured 2.5"-3" should be more than enough, and I just finished welding it. I'll clean it up a bit, then take it tomorrow with Peter's latch, and figure out what additional mods are needed before painting. I know the hook angle has to be cut off some in the front to clear the latch block, and the latch block has to be tapered a bit. By Thursday I expect to have the new latch and ground cooling option ready for testing.

Cheers,
Rusty
Rusty
13brv3

Postby 13brv3 » Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:33 am

I ended up making my ground notch 3" tall, which gives plenty of airflow in taxi. It could probably have been 2"-2.5"and still worked well, but we'll see if I still think that when it gets to be 100 deg in the summer.

Rusty
Rusty
13brv3

Return to Onex