Onex OOPS FITTING Tools

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Onex.

Onex OOPS FITTING Tools

Postby Onex107 » Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:43 pm

I am in need of the OOPS Fitting tools. Will someone point me in the right direction.
Did those of you who have been through this exercise have to offset the original hole to make room for the nut. And, did you use an O-ring on both inside and outside, and did you use a sealant on the threads?
OneX 107
N2107X
Onex107

Re: Onex OOPS FITTING Tools

Postby Murray Parr » Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:28 pm

I used an O ring on both sides but I had to make a retaining washer to keep the outer O ring from moving off the fitting. A washer a bit thinner than the O ring and the washer ID should be about the O ring OD diameter. This also allows the fitting to be snugged up. If the threads aren't sealed, the outer O ring wont help so a bit of blue Loctite should work there.
Murray Parr
WXB0015
Rotax 912ULS
MGL Explorer Lite
First flight May 6/23
RV9 builder (Sold)
Murray Parr

Re: Onex OOPS FITTING Tools

Postby DCASonex » Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:19 am

I made up the oops fitting tools. Other users have added customized step drills to the kit which I keep here. PM me with your shipping address and include about $8 for the Priority Mail cost when returning the kit.

Most tanks seem to have a large enough boss on the inside that the length of the standard fittings is marginal. Use of a thinner flat washer on the outside helps with that, but if you do not get the inside smoothed off parallel to the outside surface, using O-rings on both sides adds a bit of alignment tolerance.
Only the inside O-ring makes a seal even if you use both. Also the flat washer on the outside eliminates the tendency of the O-ring to bunch up and be forced out to the side of the nut as it is tightened. (use the flats on the end of the fittings to keep them from rotating as the nuts are tightened so as to prevent displacement of the inside O-rings. I undercut both the fittings and the nuts slightly on lathe to make recesses to help retain the )-rings, but most folks have not found that necessary.

David A.
DCASonex

Return to Onex