Landing the ONEX

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Onex.

Landing the ONEX

Postby flyingbear » Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:22 pm

[b]Well, it took me about a dozen landings but I found a system that works just great. This is just MY opinion and what I needed to do to get a smooth landing.
I have flown over 65 aircraft through the years and the ONEX is NOT one of the easiest to land smoothly. However, is it NOT twitchy on landing.

This is how I do it:
Maintain about 1800 - 2000 rpm on approach- it keeps things from transitioning too fast.
Establish 75-80 mph indicated airspeed on base- pull half flaps. ( I added a half flap notch).
On final at 75-80 pull FULL flaps. Make sure the flap handle is locked into its groove. ( I am going to reshape mine to make it easier.)
ADjust throttle on final to maintain proper decent rate to the numbers.
65 over the numbers.
Gradually flare for a touchdown at about 50 mph while gradually reducing power to high idle. I do not go to full idle on landing.
Get about 50-52 and let it GRADUALLY sink into the landing while keeping very straight down the runway.
This should be about three point touchdown. I "freeze" on the rudder at touchdown for a second and then use it as needed.
Hope this helps those guys having trouble.
Glen Bradley
Dr. Glen Bradley
Pilot for Thatcher Aircraft Inc.
Owns a CX5, flies the CX7 and a ONEX (recently completed)
flyingbear

Re: Landing the ONEX

Postby flyingbear » Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:25 pm

PS: I find that half flaps on takeoff makes it easier to lift off with proper attitude , given the low AOA allowed by the gear setup. I then retract them pretty quickly for climb-out. It climbs fine with half flaps though.
Dr. Glen Bradley
Pilot for Thatcher Aircraft Inc.
Owns a CX5, flies the CX7 and a ONEX (recently completed)
flyingbear

Re: Landing the ONEX

Postby railer833 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:59 pm

what type of stall speeds are you seeing from your Onex, in MPH.
Thanks
railer833

Return to Onex