Difficulty in installing/removing the wings?

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Onex.

Difficulty in installing/removing the wings?

Postby Onex107 » Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:20 am

I have a friend who is thinking of trailering the Onex on vacations and wants to know if He can install the wings alone. I installed mine to finish the build with the inner wing skins not installed which made it pretty simple and have not removed them since. Another local builder had to install the wings after the plane was painted and said it takes three people to do the job.
My friend would appreciate knowing what your experience is before jumping into building a trailer and buying a flying Onex.

A question to all Onex owners. How much difficulty have you experienced in removing or installing your wings?
Do you remove the wings to transport the plane often?
Can you install the wings by yourself?
How much time does it take?
Have you added another or larger work hole in the bottom or top of the wing?
What is your sequence of installation? Shot pins first or bolt first?
How do you support the wing for install?
OneX 107
N2107X
Onex107

Re: Difficulty in installing/removing the wings?

Postby XenosN42 » Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:28 pm

Hello,

I have been able to remove and install my OneX wings by myself. Fairly easy.

Took me about 30 minutes to remove and about 45 minutes to install. To support the wings I used whatever was in the hanger that was the right height. Necessity is the mother of invention!

For me the trick was: there was a need, eliminate distractions, JUST GET IT DONE!

Good luck.
-- Michael
OneX N169XE
author of the 'Flight Data Viewer'
XenosN42

Postby racaldwell » Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:39 pm

A jig with vertical adjustment on all four corners that is on casters will allow single person rigging. The incidence & dihedral angles can be dialed in and allow the wings to practically slide back into place when reinstalling.

For the Onex, it would be a jig much smaller than the ones I made for my 20 ft long wing panels.

Rick Caldwell
Xenos 0057
Attachments
Wing Rigging Sm.jpg
Wing Rigging Sm.jpg (233.54 KiB) Viewed 2435 times
racaldwell

Postby XenosN42 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:51 pm

Hey,

After posting my previous response I noticed that I forgot to answer two specific questions.

Q: What is your sequence of installation? Shoot pins first or bolt first?
I have always inserted the bolt first. I have found that when the pins are inserted first it is more difficult to push the bolt into place.

Q: Have you added another or larger work hole in the bottom or top of the wing?
No. The existing hole is big enough to insert your hand and then you'll have to insert the bolt by feel not by sight. It takes a bit of practice, but it's not difficult at all. Yes, it can get a bit frustrating for a minute or two, but you'll be rewarded when the bolt finally slips through the outboard spar plate.

Context: I've flown my OneX for about 6 years now and I've removed and installed the wings twice over that span. I also built a XENOS and have considerable experience with installing those wings. Very different procedure and technique. OneX is much easier, if only because I can do it myself without any special equipment.
-- Michael
OneX N169XE
author of the 'Flight Data Viewer'
XenosN42

Postby flyingbear » Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:47 pm

I have found it to be a two man job and not very easy. I had to remove mine to trailer it to my Phase I airport. I hope I do not have to ever remove them again.
It is not terrible.....but not easy on a ramp.
GlenB
Dr. Glen Bradley
Pilot for Thatcher Aircraft Inc.
Owns a CX5, flies the CX7 and a ONEX (recently completed)
flyingbear

Postby Scott Todd » Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:54 pm

I'm just finishing the stub wings on mine (main panels done). I think its fairly easy. I took the first one on and off about a dozen times during construction. The second one has gone a little easier but it has been on and off several times. Prop the tail up on a sawhorse so airplane is about level. I currently use a small hydraulic lift but will build a simple foldable stand when it goes to the airport to support the outer panel. The key is to have the wing at about 20 degrees folded so only the upper blade slides into the stub wing. Once slid in place, I use a screwdriver or tapered punch to reach in and put it the the pivot hole. A quick circular motion lines the holes up and the bolt starts fine in. A few taps with a small deadblow and it drops right in. It literally takes me just a minute or two each way.

Getting that cotter key in can be done with the wing folded looking in thru the end rib and reaching in from the bottom inspection hole.

Its pretty easy moving the wing panel by myself. However, once the tip and aileron get added, it might be a bit awkward to maneuver alone. But I see making some simple handles from some reversed QuickGrip clamps or something to grab the rear spar and make it easier.
Scott Todd

Return to Onex