New Onex Progress

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Onex.

Re: New Onex Progress

Postby johnnn » Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:30 am

Scott, What kind of paint are you using for your Onex? John Swing Onex 0179
johnnn

Postby Scott Todd » Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:17 pm

This was all recommended by the local Auto Paint superstore. I bought small quantities to try it on control surfaces and was pleased with it. I don't know how it will last in the long run but I don't really care. I tell people I built a photogenic airplane, not a show one :)

I scrubbed the surface with scotch bright and Tide soap (granular). I also did some with Dawn and it seemed to work as well. I primed with Upol #8. It goes on quite well and is also available in spray cans for small areas or touch up. I used a basic Polyurethane at 4:1:1. After curing, it wet sands and seems to polish well. I did some small areas like the rudder to try to improve the slight orange peel and other blemishes I got early on. It ended up looking real nice but it took a LOT of polishing but probably not as much as bare aluminum. I decided to leave the rest of the airplane for now. It looks pretty good as-is.

I used a Harbor Freight $15 HVLP sprayer out in my driveway as shown above. I had the best results turning the air up quite high. I seem to remember the gun recommended 15-45 PSI and I was using about 60 at the gun. I also had the paint coming out fairly slow. The more I did, the less orange peel and runs. This was the first thing I ever painted other than small spray can jobs. I did two coats with the recommended 15 minutes between. The red is the same brand PolyU. I did all the paint early in the morning between 65-75 F. I could tell the difference in how it flowed out at less than 70. 65-70 was best. After sitting out for an hour, I moved the parts back into he garage and didn't touch them until the next day. The garage gets to about 90-95 in the daytime (Spring) and I think it helped cure the paint. It was always quite hard the next morning. in colder weather, I might wait two days. EDIT: I always painted in the shade of the house and tried to make sure the hour wait was also in the shade so I wouldn't get any uneven 'curing' or drying by the sun. It was usually right around sunrise.

I've painted two fabric airplanes but I like to tell people you can use a weed sprayer with Polytone and make it look good ;) Its really not painting as much as applying so I don't count that experience. In all, I spent about $500 for all the paint, supplies, guns, etc. I spent a few weeks working those few hours each morning. It was fun and I learned a lot but I don't look forward to painting another one.
Attachments
IMG_2658.jpg
IMG_2658.jpg (88.65 KiB) Viewed 3372 times
Last edited by Scott Todd on Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scott Todd

Postby Scott Todd » Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:46 pm

Inspection was today. It has a Special Airworthiness Certificate!

He found a missing cotter pin on the canopy latch handle. We pulled a few random inspection covers. He asked that I remove the baggage compartment so he could see the elevator pushrod in its entirety. He wanted to see both wings fold. He touched everything and payed particular close attention to the controls. He looked at the seat belts and attachments pretty close. He was overall pleased with the airplane. My builders log was not really complete enough for him. He liked that I had made a bunch of notes on the plans throughout the build and asked that I initial each one of them. He said this combined with the build photos, receipt stack, invoices, etc would suffice. The lesson was to keep a more thorough log next time. This is an emphasis from the last airplane I built over 15 years ago.

He was super easy to deal with and tried to make the experience fun. He was very thorough and detailed. This was his 5th Onex and it was refreshing to see his familiarity with it. Now its time for engine runs and taxi tests. I like to wait until after the inspection for these things. Then one day when its all working and feels right, I just go! Stay tuned for a flight report :)

Edit: I wanted to add we spent some time on the phone before the inspection going over paperwork and the W&B. So during the actual inspection, he glanced at my W&B examples but didn't spend any time on it as we had already covered each example on the phone. He did ask what mods I had done to the original design. I pointed out the canopy latch, the differential hydraulic brakes, the control reversal to put throttle on the right, and the electrical contacts providing power to the wingtip lights. He seemed pleased that I stuck to the original designs and the mods were pretty basic and done well. He also told me in advance he didn't need to see the engine run.
Last edited by Scott Todd on Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scott Todd

Postby WesRagle » Thu Aug 19, 2021 7:27 pm

Congrats Scott!!

One more box checked. Exciting times.

Wes
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Hummel 2400 w/Zenith Carb
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

Postby Rynoth » Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:16 pm

Scott Todd wrote:Inspection was today. It has a Special Airworthiness Certificate!

Congratulations!!
Ryan Roth
N197RR - Waiex #197 (Turbo Aerovee Taildragger)
Knoxville, TN (Hangar at KRKW)
My project blog: http://www.rynoth.com/wordpress/waiex/
Time-lapse video of my build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8QTd2HoyAM
Rynoth

Postby daleandee » Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:54 pm

Scott Todd wrote:Inspection was today. It has a Special Airworthiness Certificate!

Now its time for engine runs and taxi tests. I like to wait until after the inspection for these things. Then one day when its all working and feels right, I just go! Stay tuned for a flight report :)

Good deal! That is a beautiful aircraft you have built.

I will note that my DAR did a thorough inspection that included an engine run as he watched the gauges work, and he had me do a short taxi around the ramp to prove the tail wheel steering and the brakes worked properly.

His focus seemed to be the CG & W&B of the aircraft. He made me not only submit a sheet for various loadings he watched me do the math (again) while sitting at the table (he confessed to having a recent inspection where this was a big concern).

He also said that on most inspections when he first sees the build he has a pretty good idea of what he's gonna find. He complimented me on my plane.
daleandee

Postby pappas » Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:44 pm

Thumbs up Scott! Flying time! don't forget to get it over to GEU and show it off.
Lou Pappas
Phoenix, AZ
RV-7A (Building)
Waiex B Turbo
RV-8
Waiex Legacy 3300
Hiperlight SNS-9
Falcon Ultralight[/b]
pappas

Postby Scott Todd » Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:52 pm

My first flight was 9/21 and is covered in the first flight forum. My second was yesterday and the third was today (9/25/21). Its running REALLY well. It weighs 620 pounds. I weigh 160 and I have been taking off with about 9 gallons each flight. It seems to climb about 800 FPM at 95 mph but I'll verify it officially later. It indicates 154 mph at 3550 rpm verified with GPS both ways in the still morning air around 70F at 2800 feet in Phoenix. the CHT's typically show between 340-370 with the highest I have ever seen is 384 on #4. Oil temp runs 212-218. Pressure is about 50 PSI at full throttle. EGTs run between 1350-1400. Leaning at full throttle I can go from 1350 to about 1460. Switching between Mags and Electronic at full throttle doesn't show any discernible difference. We timed it with a light on the ground at around 1700 rpm to get the electronic to match the mags.

The left wing was heavy. It needed more nose up trim than I had available on my mechanical lever. It needs a touch of left rudder. I added a trim tab about 8 inches long under the right aileron. I added a fender washer under the rear stab bolts. I reworked the elevator trim using a different lever with a clamping knob. I also reduced the trim throw after the second flight. The aileron trim is close and will get tweaked a bit more. I need to re-center the stick. I need to add a tab or something to the rudder to get the ball centered. I'll post some photos when I remember to take them.

First two landings (flights) I used flaps and approached at around 110 mph pretty steep. It floated a bit but settled nicely touching the tail wheel first on first two landings. I still made the mid field turn on 4000 ft runway. Second two I approached around 90 and did wheelies. Its pretty easy to stick it on around 70. I stayed on the mains for a few hundred feet and then took off and came around for another wheelie to a full stop on third flight. 1.5 TT now. Its a blast to fly!
Scott Todd

Postby Scott Todd » Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:33 pm

Here is interior and elevator trim lever. Baggage compartment gets a floor but its getting varnished.
Attachments
IMG_2882.jpg
IMG_2882.jpg (105.62 KiB) Viewed 2582 times
IMG_2886.jpg
IMG_2886.jpg (48.53 KiB) Viewed 2582 times
IMG_2883.jpg
Scott Todd

Postby Scott Todd » Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:37 pm

I posted an earlier panel photo but here it is in flying trim and a view of it opened.
Attachments
IMG_2885.jpg
IMG_2884.jpg
Scott Todd

PreviousNext

Return to Onex