New Onex Progress

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Onex.

Re: New Onex Progress

Postby Scott Todd » Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:38 pm

Movies! Here are a few short landing videos. Darn Cessna was in the way on the first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9XOOQ4FSXo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-VhVdLR0JM
Scott Todd

Postby Scott Todd » Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:51 am

15 hours now. Keeping up with all the scheduled maintenance tasks. No major issues. I'm getting a small oil leak around the sump plate. I have the machined Aeroconversions one. MGL current sensor crapped out. Got the three fixed trim tabs REALLY close. Re-did mechanical elevator trim lever to include a friction nut like throttle. Moved Headset jacks to other side of cockpit. Calibrated airspeed after flying about 1067 triangles. OK, maybe just a few dozen but it seemed like a lot! Alternator stator epoxy potting cracked. I was getting a loud 'click' as each magnet crossed it pulling prop thru. Chucked it up in the lathe and took 0.020 off it. Some locals were worried the bigger gap would affect charging. I think only .005-0.010 actually came off metal parts before it was round and the crack lip disappeared. Seems to work fine. $400 saved if it holds up.

Flight Data Viewer has been awesome for performance numbers. Takeoff and climb performance almost done. Hydraulic toe brakes are doing great.

Fuel flow seems off so I'm going to re-do flow tests at lower rates. Bolts in Tailwheel pushrod are wearing holes bigger. Going to make new pushrod with rod-ends. Want to upgrade to full swivel tailwheel one day. Autopilot servos on order. Going to shorten the stick by about an inch. Plenty of leverage for rolls but I have to lift my arm off leg to PTT. More to come.
Attachments
IMG_3020.jpg
IMG_3020.jpg (96.26 KiB) Viewed 1838 times
Scott Todd

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:42 pm

I’m glad to hear Phase 1 is going well for you Scott! That’s great to hear.

As you install the autopilot servo’s, I’ll be curious of your thoughts on installation and setup. I don’t recall a mounting system for the MGL’s into a Sonex/Onex so if you don’t mind, let us know what you did. That’s a future mod I may look into someday…

Keep up the good work!
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby XenosN42 » Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:31 pm

MichaelFarley56 wrote:As you install the autopilot servo’s, I’ll be curious of your thoughts on installation and setup. I don’t recall a mounting system for the MGL’s into a Sonex/Onex so if you don’t mind, let us know what you did. !

You may find a past thread on this subject of interest: http://sonexbuilders.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5844
-- Michael
OneX N169XE
author of the 'Flight Data Viewer'
XenosN42

Previous

Return to Onex