Flying the Onex

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Onex.

Flying the Onex

Postby pilotyoung » Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:41 pm

Unlike most of you I bought a Onex. I flew it for the first time yesterday. I flew it twice today. What a humbling experience! I don't think I am an arrogant pilot, I hope not, but landing this airplane has been an effort. I have probably done 15 landings now. I have a few friends who have a Onex and they gave me advice, good advice. But it has been a handful for me. I have about 60 hours of tailwheel time but it was 15 years ago. I did get 2 hours in a Piper Cub with a CFI as preparation for the Onex.

Tomorrow morning I will launch out for home. The airplane is in Morehead, KY and I live in Birmingham, AL. I have flown it about 3.5 hours, slow flight, steep turns, one stall, cruise, and about 15 landings. It flies like a dream in the air and I am sure that after N number of landings, I will get the hang of it. I can't wait to do some aerobatics in it, but I am not ready yet. Once I feel more confident of the landings, I will go high and do some rolls and loops.

I love the way it flies in the air and the light controls.
pilotyoung

Re: Flying the Onex

Postby WesRagle » Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:03 am

Hey John,

Well ..., How'd it go? Are you safely home?

Wes
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Hummel 2400 w/Zenith Carb
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

Postby pilotyoung » Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:04 pm

Yes, I got it safely home. I did one leg from KSYM to KCSV and the another from KCSV to KEET. I am still learning to land. I had to go around once at KCSV and twice at KEET.

I love the way it flies in the air and at cruise it was great. I just need to figure out the trick to land it. I think I am touching down too fast. I will work on that this week.
pilotyoung

Postby Onex107 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:03 pm

The Onex lands best around 50-55 mph. I find, like today, if you add a little rpm during flair you can slow the decent, delay the stall, and make smoother landings. If your runway is long enough you can practice the ground effect delay for the full length of the runway during a go round. Three or four hundred rpm will delay the touch down and smooth out the landing.
OneX 107
N2107X
Onex107

Postby WesRagle » Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:32 pm

pilotyoung wrote:Yes, I got it safely home.

Excellent!!

pilotyoung wrote: I just need to figure out the trick to land it.

Yea, I'm still working on that myself. Be patient with yourself.

Some recent discussion on the topic:
http://sonexbuilders.net/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=5789&hilit=Pattern+Work
http://sonexbuilders.net/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=5824&hilit=precision#p43957

Onex107 wrote:If your runway is long enough you can practice the ground effect delay for the full length of the runway during a go round.

Van used to have an article on his web site suggesting that new RV pilots add a little power while flared and, instead of landing, fly the airplane down the runway in the flare. Seems a good way to add to the 5 seconds of practice we get in the flare for every landing. Probably would be good to have your hand on the throttle, locked and loaded, for the exercise :-)

Let us know what you figure out. Have fun.

Best of Luck,

Wes
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Hummel 2400 w/Zenith Carb
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

Postby pilotyoung » Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:58 pm

Thanks for the reply. I read those two threads and will learn from each of them. I went flying this evening, did some slow flight, and then 4 full stop landings. They were much better than the last 3 days. I was slower and tried to hold it off as long as possible.
pilotyoung

Return to Onex