What are your Onex numbers?

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Onex.

What are your Onex numbers?

Postby gcm52 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:27 pm

I am about to test fly my Onex and I am curious about the kinds of numbers previous Onex flyers are seeing. Would you post your numbers for the following?

(Empty weight)W&B nose wheel weight
(Empty weight)W&B right main wheel weight
(Empty weight)W&B left main wheel weight
Empty weight CG in inches from datum
Stall with flaps
Stall without flaps
Best Glide speed
Typical rate of climb
75% power cruise
WOT cruise
Typical take off distance
Typical landing distance

Thanks in advance!

George
George Mueller
Onex Trigear
Rotax 912 ULS
gcm52

Re: What are your Onex numbers?

Postby WesRagle » Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:02 pm

Hi George,

I too am very interested in Onex data. I'm just now getting to the point that I can start gathering performance data so I don't have much to offer. A lot of the data you are asking for depends on technique/calibrated air speed/density altitude/wind speed. At present I can't provide data based on any of those criteria. I have about 30 landings and they have all been different :-) I need to check my airspeed calibration first. I'll edit this post and add information as it becomes available. I hope others will join in.

P.S. I don't know why the columns won't display properly. I cut and pasted from a Word document and removed tabs and replaced them with spaces manually.

;-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

W&B

April 29, 2020
Data recorded with top longeron level
Datum 50.875 inches forward of wing leading edge (Spinner Tip).
CG Range 60.875 - 66.875 inches aft of datum.

Empty Weight includes 3 quarts of oil
Weight Arm Moment
Left MLG 309.5 53.25 16480.875
Right MLG 305.0 53.25 16241.25
Tail Wheel 24.0 198.5 4764
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Total E.W. 638.5 58.71 37486.125
E.W. CG 58.71

;----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Typical effect of temperature and pressure altitude on takeoff performance and climb rate (Koch Chart).

Typical take off distance (Tentative) Zero Wind seems to be about 1000 ft. at ~ 3000 ft DA. Right at the touchdown marking on the runway. Slow throttle advance and no technique :-)
Last edited by WesRagle on Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Hummel 2400 w/Zenith Carb
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

Re: What are your Onex numbers?

Postby Gordon » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:52 am

Hey George.........

I can give you some of the specific "numbers" you are asking for if you want to email me.

gdbaxter78@gmail.com

I have the same engine as Wes Ragle......the Hummel 2400 85 hp. and have been flying mine for 2 years.

As a general comment .....my performance numbers exceed the factory numbers, both in climb rate and top speed, likely due to a bit more horsepower from the Hummel. I have the full length wing tips and the stall speed is even lower than "factory specs".

This is NOT a cross country airplane (my opinion) nor was it meant to be. It fills "the mission" it was designed for very well and in that regard I am happy with it.
An autopilot would be a definite asset in a Onex......I don't have one.

Gordon.........Hummel 2400........Onex #0024 taildragger
Gordon

Return to Onex