Flyboys tailwheel

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Onex.

Flyboys tailwheel

Postby bipbuilder » Tue May 26, 2020 6:50 am

I'm finishing up my onex and due to having differential brakes I am gonna have to change the tailwheel. Does any one know which one will fit the onex.
bipbuilder

Re: Flyboys tailwheel

Postby Gordon » Tue May 26, 2020 8:36 am

I have a Flyboys full swivel tail fork for sale. Asking $250.00

It is the Screaming Eagle fork....check their site.

I have the correct socket for a Sonex/Onex. This is different than the standard RV socket which will NOT work on a Sonex/Onex.

I had it installed on my Onex so it will fit your airplane. gdbaxter78@gmail.com

Gordon...…...Hummel 2400...….Onex 0024
Gordon

Postby Gordon » Tue May 26, 2020 8:53 am

Forgot to Mention.....TBI for sale

I have the Flyboys full swivel tail fork for sale …….but forgot to mention

I also have a brand new Revmaster Revflow throttle body injector for sale. Decided to go a different direction.

Check Revmaster's site for photos and description of that TBI

gdbaxter78@gmail.com

Gordon....Hummel 2400.....Onex
Gordon

Postby DCASonex » Tue May 26, 2020 2:48 pm

bipbuilder wrote:I'm finishing up my onex and due to having differential brakes I am gonna have to change the tailwheel. Does any one know which one will fit the onex.

Why do you HAVE to change the tail wheel? Differential brakes still work fine for added control in cross wind landings with stock tail wheel. Perhaps you want full swivel tail wheel for tighter turning radius, but please note many comments on potential for that to swivel just when you need it most for stability.

David A. Sonex TD, differential brakes, standard style tail wheel. CAMit 3300.
DCASonex

Postby bipbuilder » Tue May 26, 2020 9:37 pm

Reason I'm putting a full swivel on is I fly off some grass strips that are tight turns. Also if memory serves me correctly sonex came out with a bulletin stating if you put differential brakes on you had to go with a different tail wheel.
bipbuilder

Postby fastj22 » Tue May 26, 2020 9:37 pm

DCASonex wrote:
bipbuilder wrote:I'm finishing up my onex and due to having differential brakes I am gonna have to change the tailwheel. Does any one know which one will fit the onex.

Why do you HAVE to change the tail wheel? Differential brakes still work fine for added control in cross wind landings with stock tail wheel. Perhaps you want full swivel tail wheel for tighter turning radius, but please note many comments on potential for that to swivel just when you need it most for stability.

David A. Sonex TD, differential brakes, standard style tail wheel. CAMit 3300.

Only to take advantage of a very tight turn around. Those of us who operate out of narrow runways with limited turnarounds, its a pretty nice feature to turn 180 within a wing span. It also facilitates ground handling in the hangar.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Postby GraemeSmith » Wed May 27, 2020 8:55 am

DCASonex wrote:Why do you HAVE to change the tail wheel?

Well the factory have an optional Service Bulletin that has a bit of a mixed message in it:

"All tailwheel-configured airframes fitted with a Machined Tailwheel Assembly (SNX-L03-20/-21 or SNX-L03-30/-31) 09.13.18 SNX-SB-008"

Looks like fastenings on the machined fixed tail wheel were failing in shear when side loaded by differential brake action.

The mixed message is that it is an optional bulletin. But there is an ongoing inspection requirement to:

" Aircraft eqipped (sic) with differential brakes must be removed from service until a full-swivel tail wheel is installed or the differential brakes are removed."

YMMV
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Postby DCASonex » Thu May 28, 2020 8:12 am

Thanks for the info on the Sonex tail wheel bulletin. My 6" tail wheel is one I made back in the days before Sonex offered their own, and so far looks good so will stick with that.

David A.
DCASonex

Return to Onex