Rudder Cable Touches Elevator Push Rod

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Onex.

Rudder Cable Touches Elevator Push Rod

Postby gcm52 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:54 pm

My Onex rudder cable (with the protective plastic sheath on) touches the elevator push rod. Is that OK? I have followed the plans and that is the way it turned out, i.e. it appears to be designed that way.
George Mueller
Onex Trigear
Rotax 912 ULS
gcm52

Re: Rudder Cable Touches Elevator Push Rod

Postby onex28 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:50 pm

I can’t post photos George but email me and can pull photos from my files for you as to how I solved that problem.

Mudywatratcomcastdotnet
onex28

Postby dirkverdonck » Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:41 am

Hi #28,
The cable should not touch the elevator rod to avoid shafing.
I solved the problem by rerouting the rudder cable, see pic.
Attachments
62..JPG
62..JPG (48.37 KiB) Viewed 2950 times
Dirk Verdonck
Leffinge, Belgium
Onex #117
Taildragger, Aerovee 2.1, MGL iEFIS, TRIG radio and Transponder, electric flaps, external elevator trim, shortened wingtips, hydraulic brakes, hightened seat pan, extra inspection panels, etc
dirkverdonck

Postby gcm52 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:47 pm

The pulley solution is a good way to approach this problem although it will be a bit more difficult for me to do that since I am all rigged and ready to close up the bottom skin. What I am wondering is, do most of the Onexs flying around have the rudder cable touching the elevator pushrod? Is that what the plastic sheath is for? It appears that this is a "designed in" situation as I have made no modification to the plans and this is what I got. I have asked Sonex about this but have not yet got a reply (I asked them in March 10th). I basically asked them if this was OK/normal. To the folks that have flying Onexs, did your rudder cable touch the elevator pushrod? With the plastic sheath on it does not seem that problematic but I still am not sure...
George Mueller
Onex Trigear
Rotax 912 ULS
gcm52

Postby XenosN42 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:03 pm

gcm52 wrote:The pulley solution is a good way to approach this problem although it will be a bit more difficult for me to do that since I am all rigged and ready to close up the bottom skin. What I am wondering is, do most of the Onexs flying around have the rudder cable touching the elevator pushrod? Is that what the plastic sheath is for? It appears that this is a "designed in" situation as I have made no modification to the plans and this is what I got. I have asked Sonex about this but have not yet got a reply (I asked them in March 10th). I basically asked them if this was OK/normal. To the folks that have flying Onexs, did your rudder cable touch the elevator pushrod? With the plastic sheath on it does not seem that problematic but I still am not sure...

Hi,

I flew yesterday and checked my rudder cable. It's not touching the elevator push rod. I didn't make any changes from the plans. My serial # is 169 (shipped about 5-1/2 years ago).
-- Michael
OneX N169XE
author of the 'Flight Data Viewer'
XenosN42

Postby WesRagle » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:32 pm

Hi George,

gcm52 wrote:What I am wondering is, do most of the Onexs flying around have the rudder cable touching the elevator pushrod? Is that what the plastic sheath is for?

I think a lot of folks use the plastic sheath to keep moving cables away from them in the aft cockpit area.

It's also handy to have some where the rudder cable exits the fuse.

A lot of folks have the same clearance "problem" you have described. As always, Dirk's solution is better than mine. But, it's a very shallow angle that's needed to remove the interference so, I just used a fairlead to help the cable make the right decision :-) Not very pretty but I think it'll work just fine.

Best of Luck,

Wes
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Hummel 2400 w/Zenith Carb
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

Return to Onex