Additional tail cone bracing

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Onex.

Additional tail cone bracing

Postby inventor » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:26 pm

I am considering adding some diagonal bracing in the aft fuselage of my Onex build. The sides seem so flimsy that I imagine the flopping around that the sides might do in flight. (oil canning). I would like to hear opinions on this idea from anyone who would like to offer them. I figure that using one inch angle would add about six pounds of weight. I want to make a decision on this before installing the turtle deck sheeting.

Richard
Onex 150
inventor

Re: Additional tail cone bracing

Postby XenosN42 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:19 pm

inventor wrote:I am considering adding some diagonal bracing in the aft fuselage of my Onex build. The sides seem so flimsy that I imagine the flopping around that the sides might do in flight. (oil canning). I would like to hear opinions on this idea from anyone who would like to offer them. I figure that using one inch angle would add about six pounds of weight. I want to make a decision on this before installing the turtle deck sheeting.

Richard

I wouldn't recommend doing that. The sides on my OneX are solid and I haven't seen or heard any oil canning in flight. Always be careful adding weight (even only six pounds) that far from the center of lift; it will be too easy to build a tail heavy aircraft.

Here is a video of my rear fuselage. I don't see any deformation. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kCGGMqrBII Enjoy!
-- Michael
OneX N169XE
author of the 'Flight Data Viewer'
XenosN42

Postby mike.smith » Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:01 pm

Definitely do not add those! Too much weight and not structurally necessary. This is what I did, instead, made from .025 aluminum sheet. I did it strictly to cut down on oil canning NOISE while taxiing, and they weigh practically nothing.

http://www.mykitlog.com/users/display_l ... 181&row=11
http://www.mykitlog.com/users/display_l ... 8137&row=8
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Postby Mel » Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:32 pm

Any time you add any kind of angle stiffeners to skins be sure to tie those angles in to the structure at both ends. Otherwise cracks will develop at the ends of the stiffener.
Mel Asberry..DAR since last century
A&P/BGI/EAA (LifeTime) Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor/Nat'l Test Pilot School/Tony Bingelis Award/Wright Brothers Master Pilot Award..N168YX reserved
Mel

Postby Bryan Cotton » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:09 pm

You are solving a problem that does not exist.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby inventor » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:39 am

I thank everyone for their input. It is great to have this all of you willing to help out a fellow builder. Now it is up to me to decide on a course of action for my build. One take away that everyone agrees on is not to add weight. And Mel thank you for the tip, good to know. I am really impressed with the build logs that some have available on line. Michael your airplane looks great. I hope my paint job turns out as amazing as yours.
Onex 150
inventor

Postby XenosN42 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:55 am

inventor wrote:.... Michael your airplane looks great. I hope my paint job turns out as amazing as yours.

That's not paint it is vinyl wrap. I'm fairly certain that I couldn't afford to paint my plane with a design as complex as that.
-- Michael
OneX N169XE
author of the 'Flight Data Viewer'
XenosN42

Postby inventor » Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:07 pm

Well it looks great! I might do the wrap too.
Onex 150
inventor

Return to Onex