Onex rudder return springs

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Onex.

Onex rudder return springs

Postby johnnn » Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:31 pm

Has anyone tried to eliminate the rudder return springs (ONX-C01-03) on a conventional gear Onex? I am still building but the springs seem to be unnecessary to me. They look like standard 'screen door' springs from the hardware store. They seem unwieldly and will just get in the way. Why are they there? Is there a flutter issue here? I would like to hear from anyone who has flown a conventional gear Onex. Thanks. John Onex 0179
johnnn

Re: Onex rudder return springs

Postby Bryan Cotton » Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:08 pm

I left mine off my Waiex. I haven't flown it yet. In my opinion, the purpose of rudder springs is to keep the cables tight. Leaving your feet on the pedals does the same thing.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby sonex892. » Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:24 am

Onex pedals unlike the Sonex are hinged from the bottom. Without the springs, what is there to prevent the pedals from flopping flat onto the floor?
Steve
Lazair kit 1981 sold
Sonerai 2LS plansbuilt 2003 sold
Sonex kit 2010
Sonerai 2LS project rotax 912
sonex892.

Postby dirkverdonck » Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:01 am

Hi Onex buiders,
I kept the springs and made the LH spring a little shorter to introduce some rudder trim, works well and the cables are slightly tensioned which should protect them from unnecessary wear as well. (I can fly feet on the floor in cruise with the ball centered)

Happy new year to all of you,
Dirk Verdonck
Leffinge, Belgium
Onex #117
Taildragger, Aerovee 2.1, MGL iEFIS, TRIG radio and Transponder, electric flaps, external elevator trim, shortened wingtips, hydraulic brakes, hightened seat pan, extra inspection panels, etc
dirkverdonck

Postby Bryan Cotton » Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:45 pm

sonex892. wrote:Onex pedals unlike the Sonex are hinged from the bottom. Without the springs, what is there to prevent the pedals from flopping flat onto the floor?

I didn't know. Seems like the springs would be more important.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby johnnn » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:05 am

OK. Thanks, guys for all your good help. It looks like the rudder springs are needed. What would be the optimum tension for the rudder cables? Could I 'fine tune' the tension by using an eye bolt through the firewall at the points where the springs are supposed to attach and attach the spring to the eye bolt. This might serve as a rudder trim adjustment also. What do you think?
johnnn

Postby radfordc » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:33 am

Perhaps having spring tension for rudder trim is useful.

On my Sonex when one spring broke I removed the other one and flew that way for years. I never noticed any difference.
radfordc

Return to Onex