Onex AeroVee Oil Cooler Mod

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Onex.

Re: Onex AeroVee Oil Cooler Mod

Postby tmobbs » Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:36 pm

Thank you all for your responses and links, all of which I will be following up
Tim Mobbs Sonex #1555 Aerovee #0672, Bungay, England
tmobbs

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:15 pm

Timwaiex0146 wrote:Mike < have you installed the rear baffling duct to let the air thru the rear fence? I would love to see the pictures if you have any > i just started fitting the top cooler and it fits just as you say. I am now trying to figure how to make that duct. Thanks< Tim Koehler Waiex 0146

Hi Tim,

I would say you need to create a baffling duct or tunnel for the oil cooler so air can flow through the cooler and out the back of the baffling. If you simply leave the cooler sit on top of the engine, unbaffled, there would be very little airflow going through the cooler and you will have oil temp issues.

My setup is very close to Brent's pictures in the first post of this thread. I don't have an actual picture uploaded, but I fabricated a tunnel that runs from the back of the cooler to the rear baffle where I had cut out a hole. If I were to do things over, I'd follow the newer Onex style system where I simply extend the rear baffle forward to the back edge of the cooler so as to seal the cooler onto the baffle. I'll try to dig up a picture but I believe that would be the easiest and best method.
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby 1X99 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:22 pm

I fitted my cowling to the AeroVee before I got the top cooler. Now, with it in place, It's going to poke through the upper cowling; I'll have to cut a hole to miss the forward edge of the cooler and fair it over with a fiberglass bump. Onex supplied engine mount & cowling, which fits fine at the firewall. Anyone else having this problem?
Steve Craigle
1X99

Postby gammaxy » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:59 pm

1X99 wrote:I fitted my cowling to the AeroVee before I got the top cooler. Now, with it in place, It's going to poke through the upper cowling; I'll have to cut a hole to miss the forward edge of the cooler and fair it over with a fiberglass bump.

It was a pretty close fit on my Sonex. I think I removed a little material from flange that sticks up on the top of the cooler to get it to fit. Would that work for you? I wonder if it would be possible to machine the oil cooler plate a little thinner for clearance (I'd do a lot of research before considering this option)?
Chris Madsen
Aerovee Sonex N256CM
Flying since September 2014
Build log: http://chrismadsen.org
gammaxy

Postby Bruce593SX » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:07 pm

Yes, take a good look at the top of the cooler, you can take a LOT of material off without getting into the oil channel. All the way down to removing ALL of the top set of fins at the front if needed. (carefully)
Bruce Johnson
Sonex 593 AeroVee Turbo
Plans building near San Antonio, TX
Bruce593SX

Postby Onex107 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:33 pm

The Onex plans call for the rear baffle to jog forward to the back side of the oil cooler, dumping the oil cooler air behind the baffle. Adding the mod shown above keeps the baffle seal straight across and may be easier to fit to the top cowling.
OneX 107
N2107X
Onex107

Previous

Return to Onex