Onex Wings

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Onex.

Onex Wings

Postby WesRagle » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:06 pm

Hi Guys,

Things are starting to get serious here. I'm sneaking up on the most critical part of a Onex Build.

Tomorrow I'll get an order list together for all the fasteners and special tools needed to complete the inboard wing construction and wing joining. Any advice/experience you Onex builders and flyers could share will be appreciated. I'm a little nervous about this.

Thanks,

Wes
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Hummel 2400 w/Zenith Carb
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

Re: Onex Wings

Postby Mike53 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:31 am

Hi Wes. Definitely build your outer wings now,attach them with ailerons in place and work out your aileron paddles now while everything can be easily adjusted .Getting the proper up/down aileron specs can be a daunting task after the wing skins are on and your trying to get your fingers in there to make adjustments.Been there ,made the mistake of waiting till after skins were on and regretted it every day till I got them adjusted.Not fun.
Cheers
Mike
Mike
I know but one freedom, and that is the freedom of the mind.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Reserved C-FONX for the 80th Onex,Hummel 85HP ,Tri gear,GRT Mini X EFIS,and EMS,iFly 740 GPS
Mike53

Postby WesRagle » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:33 am

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reply.

Will do. That's exactly the sort of advice I'm looking for: "Things I wish I'd done".

I've finished the outer wing panels, except for cleaning off all the F9 grime and final polish. I built the ailerons last week and drilled the wing tips in place.

Yesterday was spent drilling and riveting rib doubler gussets, test fitting, and just making sure I had all the wing stub parts and understood how they went together. At one point I found myself standing there with a long aileron push rod in my hand and a confused look on my face. I soon realized that I could slide it in from the other side since that side hadn't been mocked up yet, but it got me thinking about possible pitfalls. I'm one of the guys that had the pleasure of drilling the vertical stabilizer off of a Sonex to install the elevator push rod :-)

Since mating the wing panels is such a critical step in the build process I expected to find a lot of discussion about in on the forum, but not so much. I did find this post: http://sonexbuilders.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11&hilit=onex+wing+rigging&start=40#p1445. Since I have an older kit I am constantly checking print revisions on the Sonex web site. One of the revisions was a drawing update to show the outer wing panels in place while skinning the inner wing panels. I could see me goofing that.

I'll study the prints repeatedly before the big drill bits and reamers start spinning.

Forever Forward,

Wes
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

Postby Mike53 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:59 am

Hi Wes
Couldn't help notice you already have your outer wing skins on.Adjusting the outer wing paddles will be a bit of a problem with access but at least the inner ones will be a snap.All doable though.
Would also recommend removable wintg tips if you ever plan on lights.I used an automotive door jamb connector to transfer power to outer wing and it works really well

http://www.onexmike.org/inner-wing-build.html
Scroll up to see it in place
Mike
I know but one freedom, and that is the freedom of the mind.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Reserved C-FONX for the 80th Onex,Hummel 85HP ,Tri gear,GRT Mini X EFIS,and EMS,iFly 740 GPS
Mike53

Postby Onex107 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:06 pm

One of the more difficult things was drilling the locking pin hole. The steel plates I had were hardened on the surface for some reason and destroyed the drills. The mistake I made was not drilling the joint on the drill press before I installed the center spar. The holes did not drill well and I had to go oversize and ream with adjustable reamers to get a good joint. I had oversize pins made to fit the reamed holes. If the holes don't match perfectly it is difficult to lock the wing. When I lift the end of the wings I can feel a little play in the joint. Sonex now supplies oversize pins. The other thing to plan ahead is how your wires go through the folding joint. The contact connectors are a good way to go. I ran mine through a flexible plastic tube that retracts when the wing is folded. Think about having to remove the wings for some reason in the future. The aileron paddles can be adjusted through the inspection holes in the bottom of the wing. I don't know why but the adjusting screw of one paddle does not center on the facing paddle. It hasn't been a problem though. My wing tips are riveted on. Just provide extra wire to the light so it's easier to change. Some strobes require three wires. That's all I can think of for now.
OneX 107
N2107X
Onex107

Postby WesRagle » Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:43 am

Mike53 wrote:Hi Wes

Would also recommend removable wintg tips if you ever plan on lights.I used an automotive door jamb connector to transfer power to outer wing and it works really well

http://www.onexmike.org/inner-wing-build.html
Scroll up to see it in place

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the link. I like pictures. Very helpful.

I thought about removable wing tips but decided against it. I had an unexpected 6 month delay in the project. I was supposed to be flying by now :-( I'm now focused on having the airplane ready by spring and the pilot ready by summer. So, I'm taking the easy way out when I can.

Also, I really can't see myself ever installing lights. My plane is going to be a basic day VFR local flyer. I do have to ask though, how many nutplates did you install? I counted about 50 rivets per wing tip.

Onex107 wrote:One of the more difficult things was drilling the locking pin hole.

Hi Maurice,

That's what I worry about most of all. Sounds like I should get the highest quality drill bits and reamers I can find. Did you use long drill bits? Seems like long bits would be easier to keep square with the holes while drilling. Also, I probably shouldn't install the outer rib (the paddle rib) in the inner wing until after the locking pin holes are drilled. I'm going to approach this with patience and caution. I really really don't want to have a major set back.

Thanks Guys,

Wes
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

Postby johnnn » Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:23 pm

I am at about the same stage in my Onex build as you are. I am looking for ideas on how to best seal the cabin at the wingroots. A Onex pilot told me that it gets a bit 'breezy' and the wind seems to come mostly from the wingroot area. With the aileron controls going through that area it makes it more problematic. Any ideas? I heard Van's RV addresses this but I have not found any info on it.
johnnn

Postby WesRagle » Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:03 pm

Hi John,
johnnn wrote:I am looking for ideas on how to best seal the cabin at the wingroots. Any ideas?

I haven't read any Onex specific posts on that topic. Here is a link to the most recent posts in reference to the problem on the Sonex/Waiex.

http://sonexbuilders.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4730&p=39965&hilit=aerovee+heat#p39965.

Some of it would apply to a Onex. I guess just sealing all the wing root holes the best you can is probably your best bet. Don't know.

Wes
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

Postby Onex107 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:09 pm

If you haven't drilled the locking pin holes, you will be drilling through three steel plates at the same time. The two mounted in the end of the inner wing and the center plate from the wing spar sandwiched in between. I had a problem there also the two inner plates were not exactly parallel and I shimmed one to let the wing spar enter better. Another Onex being built here did some grinding on the faces of the inner plates to get a good fit. If you are going to hand drill that joint, sneak up on it. Use as many smaller size drills as you can before you get up to the pin diameter. I highly advise reaming the final diameter. I think Sonex sells two oversize pins now in case you need them. Check the sizes. Of course the first hole you have to drill is for the pivot bolt at the top. You can do those separately, unassembled, then assemble the wing and drill the locking pin hole. I don't remember what drill bits I used but I was able to borrow an adjustable reamer so I could go slowly up to the finished dia. You will probably end up a few thousandths over the pin dia. Skinning the inner wings is the last thing I did. The cold air is sucked in through the rib holes in the body. It wouldn't be a bad idea to tape/cover/plug those from the outside before you skin the wing. Once you get the seat and elevator rod installed, there isn't much room to work on the inside. The aileron paddles can be adjusted by folding the wing and making small adjustments until there is no play in the joint.
OneX 107
N2107X
Onex107

Postby WesRagle » Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:30 am

Thanks Maurice,

Tomorrow I'll force myself to stop piddling around and think about whats coming. It would be nice if I could figure out the best reamers/bits for the job, the best drill speed for drilling the steel, the best technique, ... Then, since I probably won't need the reamers/bits again, I could put together a kit for the "tool share program". You may not have had very much guidance with plans #107, but there are instructions included in the plans now. I'll certainly start by studying those instructions.

By the way, I know a guy who got a partially completed Onex at a bargain price. After the purchase he was inspecting the wing fold and somewhere along the way a builder had filled the pin holes with JB weld and re-drilled them. The guy ended up scrapping the entire airframe. So, I feel justified in being nervous :-)

Thanks Again,

Wes
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

Next