Engine & Propeller

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Onex.

Engine & Propeller

Postby pilotyoung » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:21 pm

I am building a Onex quick build kit and am ready to order and engine and propeller. I would like to hear some comments from other builders about which engine and propeller you like.

Thanks.

John
pilotyoung

Re: Engine & Propeller

Postby XenosN42 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:54 pm

Hi John,

The factory recommends the AeroVee engine with AeroCarb and the Sensenich propeller. That's what I use. Seem to be running well and the factory support is great.

Now I know that there are people out there that bash the AeroVee & AeroCarb. Someone, somewhere will have something negative to say about every engine ever built. And truth be told there is no perfection. You just need to assemble it right and maintain it.

For the price the AeroVee gets the job done.
-- Michael
OneX N169XE
author of the 'Flight Data Viewer'
XenosN42

Postby Scott Todd » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:24 pm

I have an AeroVee, AeroCarb, and Sensinch Prop on a little Biplane I built 15 years ago. It its a simple little motor that just runs. Their support has always been good. I previously owned a Sonex and have also flown several other Sonex's and a Onex with AeroVee's on them. I think its a bit light on a regular Sonex with two onboard but it really is ideal on the Onex. I'm finishing a Onex now and look forward to years of good service from it.
Attachments
Biplane_SM.jpg
Scott Todd

Postby mike.smith » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:38 am

I can't say enough good things about the Prince P-tip props. I did back-to-back testing between my old Sensenich and my Prince. The Prince outperformed in both climb and level flight.
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Postby pilotyoung » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:28 am

Which propeller do you have on your airplane, a 54-44?
pilotyoung

Postby Scott Todd » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:04 am

If you are asking about the Biplane, its a 62x38. It was custom by Sensenich based on a Vne of 100 and an expected cruise of 60-70. Its perfect. It climbs around 3000 rpm. Cruises around 2300 at 2.5-3 gph and 70 mph.
Scott Todd

Postby Onex107 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:17 pm

My Onex 107 with an Aerovee, AeroInjector, and a Senenich 54 X 44 wood prop is a perfect match. I tested a 54 X 44 P-tip and all I got was higher static RPM. No measurable difference flying. To choose an engine you have to consider three things. Horse power, installation complexity,and money. If you want to go faster, that requires more HP, spend money. If you fly off a short grass runway and need more HP to climb, spend money.If you don't feel comfortable building your own engine, spend money. There are several company built engines out there with a lot more HP, special ignition systems, liquid cooled, FADEC controlled, with more complex installation requirements. Many choices to make. The Aerovee system is not difficult to assemble, simple to operate and maintain, and the price is right. 285 hours and flying. The builders on this site will be glad to help you with any questions you may have.
I feel more confident knowing my engine inside and out when I maintain it, and being capable of overhauling it if and when it becomes necessary. I spent 25 years in a certified aircraft, having $1000 plus annual inspections, and depending on a mechanic I didn't know to maintain the engine. When he got it wrong and shot me down, I built my own airplane and became my own mechanic. Good luck with your choice.
OneX 107
N2107X
Onex107

Postby Scott99 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:04 pm

My Onex has the AeroVee and Prince P-Tip. It's how I bought it and am (in general) satisfied. Also have a Zenith carburetor.

I'm fairly large (6', 250#), so I fly at gross a lot...and little extra horsepower would be welcome, but it's not a deal breaker.

My only real complaint is the oil leaks from the sump pan. But you know what they say, if your AeroVee ain't leaking oil, it's dry.
Scott Wells
OneX #0068 - N681X
New Palestine, IN
Scott99

Postby Onex107 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:01 pm

The sump pan will leak through the threads of the studs. You need to use nuts that have closed ends with copper washers. That'll stop the problem.
OneX 107
N2107X
Onex107

Return to Onex