Wes's Onex #89

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Onex.

Re: Wes's Onex #89

Postby WesRagle » Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:17 pm

HI Guys,

Just checking in and updating this thread.

I got the ADSB in installed. Ref. http://sonexbuilders.net/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=5955#p45003

Had a nice early morning flight this morning. 1.1 Hrs. KMWL - 21F - KMWL plus some touch and gos. Took off at about 7:15 A.M. OAT 27 Deg F. and DA -1000 ft. Wore jeans, a sweat shirt, and a hoodie. Plenty of cabin heat. I had to turn it down before I got to 21F (Jacksboro). I really couldn't think of anything I *had* to do to the plane before next flight other than add fuel and check the oil.

At present I have 28.4 hours and 155 landings on the Onex. The tires are showing the wear. I'm running 45 psi in the tires. I wonder if they would wear more evenly at a lower pressure. Don't know. About half way to slick I think. I assume a lot of the wear came early with all of the taxi backs after landings. The majority of landings are now touch and gos.

I'm still working on the life support system for the airplane. I just about have the tire pressure test and set figured out. I still need to figure out how I'll fuel the plane on X-country trips. I called for fuel to fill the hangar can today. While talking to the man who delivered the fuel I mentioned that I was thinking about getting some flexible fuel hose and a quick release clamp. I could slide the hose over the fuel nozzle, clamp it on, run the hose well down into the tank, and hopefully fuel the plane without getting fuel on the wind screen. He said that's how all the Pitts guys do it. The fuel nozzle wont fit into a Pitts tank. So, that's something I'll be looking in to. I still need to figure out how I'll lift the plane for a tire change. I'll be looking for some sort of scissor jack I can place under the landing gear and pick it up.

Forever Forward,

Wes
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Hummel 2400 w/Zenith Carb
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

Postby avee8r » Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:28 am

Hi Wes
I had a Pitts back in the day. No need to clamp the hose to the fuel nozzle if is is long enough to cover the entire nozzle. There is usually a tapered portion at the handle end the the hose will seal itself on. I believe I started at about 2 ft in length. Its cheap enough a good the auto parts store. You'll get the technique down pretty quick.
Happy Landings
John
N50NX
avee8r

Postby WesRagle » Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:34 pm

Hi John,

avee8r wrote:Hi Wes
I had a Pitts back in the day. No need to clamp the hose to the fuel nozzle if is is long enough to cover the entire nozzle. There is usually a tapered portion at the handle end the the hose will seal itself on. I believe I started at about 2 ft in length. Its cheap enough a good the auto parts store. You'll get the technique down pretty quick.
Happy Landings
John
N50NX

Thanks. I'll give this a try.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/aaf-all40160-5/reviews

We'll See,

Edit: The above hose fit the fuel truck nozzle at my airport perfectly.

Wes
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

Postby flyingbear » Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:27 pm

FWIW I have installed a Uavionix ADSB system on all three of our planes and the install is super easy and they are very econo9mical. Mine have been totally reliable and I fly in one of the busiest areas of the country. I installed the ECHO with SkyFWX ext . No direct connection to the transponder and only two wire hookup. I actually installed my complete unit inside my wingtip on a tray. EASY.
GlenB
Dr. Glen Bradley
Pilot for Thatcher Aircraft Inc.
Owns a CX5, flies the CX7 and a ONEX (recently completed)
flyingbear

Postby flyingbear » Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:01 pm

Wes,
I installed the Uavionix ECHO and external GPS INSIDE my wingtip- totally hidden. Super easy install and inexpensive.
I can send pics if you email me.
Glen Bradley
Onex Aerovee- almost ready to fly
Dr. Glen Bradley
flyingbear

Postby WesRagle » Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:39 pm

Hi Glen,

I already made the ADSB decision back in November. Ref. (https://sonexbuilders.net/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=5955#p45003).

It is surprising to me how much attitudes have changed since ADSB has become common. Last flight someone made a blind call announcing their position. Since it was their first call and I was in the vicinity I responded announcing my position. They then said "Do you have ADSB? I can't see you on the scope." I just responded "No, sorry. I have you in sight." I'll never admit to having ADSB in. Everyone will just think my "see and avoid" skills are incredible :-)

Looking forward to your first flight!

Thanks,

Wes
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

Postby flyingbear » Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:49 pm

Many FAA tower and ATC do not have ADSB monitoring. The tower here at KPNS is super busy but.......no ADSB monitoring yet. Hmmmmm
glen
Dr. Glen Bradley
flyingbear

Postby WesRagle » Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:54 pm

Hi Guys,

The Onex has been running the tires that came with the kit. The kit was somewhere around 10 years old when I bought it so the tires are somewhere north of 13 years old now. So, I decided to replace them. I got about 250 landings out of them. Had they been newer I would have rotated them and finished them off.

I used a lift table to pick the plane up. Worked great! Ref. https://sonexbuilders.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&p=49596#p49596

Every time I checked the air in the tires I was shocked at the amount of brake dust that had collected on the rim. So, I ordered new brake pucks/pads. I was sure that the brakes were going to spit out a pad any minute. But, not so much. Very little wear on the pucks or the disks.

The old puck next to a brand new puck.

The screws holding the disk on sit nearly flush with the surface so the heads got a little polished but that's about it.

The pucks were put in the box with spare valve cover gaskets etc. to be used another day.

Looking forward to some pattern work in the morning to check the maintenance.

Wes
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

Postby WantaflyaOnex » Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:46 am

I like this idea. I purchased enough seat material to fabricate a snap in or Velcro sling and will try and make it work.
Darrell Reiley
Onex #132
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Sensenich Propellor
VFR Lite
EAA Technical Counselor Retired
EAA Chapter 187
WantaflyaOnex

Previous

Return to Onex