Rotec TBI on a AeroVee

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Onex.

Re: Rotec TBI on a AeroVee

Postby WaiexN143NM » Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:00 pm

hi,
This is not new, poor response. even your unit only a year old i would in fact take the primer regulator apart,
check to make sure the diaphram has the molded in oring. not a floating oring. check the spring for correct length
for correct tension. u should find this info online from rotec.
rotec was to open a usa distributer. the only thing i found was some guy selling new units from florida on ebay.
good luck report back.
as ive said many times, i like their product, but their support is lacking. dealing with the sales office has been very fustrating at times.
You indicated you took off the tbi to adjust stops. reinstalled and now problems. are all fittings tight.? did you look
into tbi throat to see slide bar position with throttle at idle and wot? anything else new? air filter?
also ron, confirm which model rotec you have. mark 2 34-2 ? for vw’s ,
.the 34-R is for rotax 912 models to replace the twin bing carbs with
dual rotecs.
WaiexN143NM
Michael.
WaiexN143NM

Postby Arjay » Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:46 pm

Hi Michael:

When we made the throttle cable adjustment we did not remove the tbi. Merely adjusted the wot stop so that the hole in the slide aligned smoothly with the bore at wot. Prior to that adjustment, when the engine ran well, the wot position of the slide was about 1/16 inch too far open.

Also, I have confirmed we ordered the mk II-34-2. I can only assume that is the one we received.

Next step will go to Rotec website, see if I can find a service manual for the regulator, then take it apart.

Michael, thanks for your help.

Ron
Arjay

Postby WaiexN143NM » Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:46 pm

Hi ron,
Go to http://www.rotecaerosport.com, red headline on top hit more, then select tbi fuel systems,
u will see downloads for mk2 docs.

Dont be afraid to take it apart. its very simple on the primer regulator end. take pics.
a needle & spring & diaphram .
check the fuel inlet filter too, make sure no debris. also the fine mesh spray bar is clear.
also on another post make sure fuel vent clear.

keep us informed on your troubleshooting. any other rotec users any ideas?

WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM

Postby Arjay » Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:52 am

Thank you, Michael. Do you have any spec’s for the regulator? Spring tension, spring length, etc, or anything else to check or measure? I can see the parts breakdown in the manual. Hopefully, my mechanic, Fred, can get it apart and back together as shown there. But other than looking for obvious defects we don’t know about any measurements or adjustments.

Still no answer from Rotec, after several inquiries.

Ron
Arjay

Postby WaiexN143NM » Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:27 pm

Hi all, ron,
Sorry ive been in palm springs the last 7 mo , except for eaa airventure. plane and any docs are in tucson .
i remember we downloaded the docs for our rotec mark 1 . it talked about spring length , which controls the tension.
i’ll look at online docs see if i can find anything. the main thing you want to insure when take apart is the diaphram has the molded in oring. not the floating oring.
i would assume it is only one yr old , would have the upgraded diaphram, but to insure for peace of mind , please check.
also some recent other posts, check any fuel filters in line for any blockage from debris.
Not sure of status of rotec factory and personnel due to covid. Hoping for good health to all.
Good luck!

michael.
WaiexN143NM

Previous

Return to Onex