Onex Tool Kit

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Onex.

Onex Tool Kit

Postby pilotyoung » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:22 am

I'm just starting my quick build Onex kit. I looked at Aircraft Spruce for a Onex tool kit and they have one for just over $900.00 but it is listed with no stock.

I am wondering what other new Onex kit oweners have done for a tool set specifically designed for a onex. Do any of you have suggestions?

Thanks.

John D Young
pilotyoung

Re: Onex Tool Kit

Postby Bryan Cotton » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:28 am

I bought an RV tool kit when I was a new RV4 builder. It was ok. $900 seems like a lot. You need a drill. This is where we usually debate air vs cordless. You can use what you have. You needs lots of clecoes, bought from the cheapest source possible. Used is great. You need tin snips and files. You need #40 and #30 drill bits. You will need a drill press. People on this forum have built with hand powered pop riveters. The HF pneumatic ones are good.

Part of the purpose of the hobby is to buy tools. I think it's better to pick your own vs a kit.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby Area 51% » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:32 am

FWIW... measure each fastener (rivets, bolts) and buy appropriate undersized drills and reamers for each. A 1/4in drill will give a sloppy hole and a #30 drill can leave you with a stable full of proud rivets mandrels.
Area 51%

Postby Area 51% » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:33 am

Oh yeah....and get a shop vac that will dim the lights slightly.
Area 51%

Postby DCASonex » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:52 am

You will likely spend more hours building than flying. Take the time to set up your work area and invest what you need to make the build enjoyable. Just a couple of years ago would have said that a good high speed (3,000+ RPM) pneumatic drill was essential. Today's, small lithium battery drills are now good enough. Get a small light weight one, The 12 volt size seems about right. Must have multiple batteries so can swap out to recharge while you keep working. Select one that has both high and low speed range with the high as high as you can find, about 1,800 RPM seems about top for battery powered drills. Small and light weight allows working in tighter spots, but more important, lessens hand and arm fatigue that causes errors. The good battery operated drills have one advantage over low cost pneumatic drills, the soft slow start is less liable to result in drill bits walking. (The good pneumatic drill like Sioux do have a trigger that allows for soft slow starts, but can buy a couple of small good quality lithium battery drills for the price of one of those.)

David A.
DCASonex

Return to Onex