Inside Wing Temperature gauge???

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Onex.

Inside Wing Temperature gauge???

Postby Bacon8tor » Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:22 am

I inherited a Scott Aerotherm Outside Air Temperature gauge that I want to make good use of. You know, the old dial face where the probe runs through the plexiglass into the airstream causing drag.

What do you think about mounting it inside the fuselage towards the rudder pedals where the probe is INSIDE the leading edge of the wing? It's not a common location but I'll be able to read it if I move my knee out of the way! Do you think the temperature inside the wing will be the same as outside? I don't plan on cabin heat so that shouldn't affect it.

OAT isn't that important to me and I'll do without if this doesn't work. I don't want to install the more modern versions that are more expensive. Thoughts?
John Bacon
Henderson, NV
Onex 164 N702JB Reserved
95% done.....
Bacon8tor

Re: Inside Wing Temperature gauge???

Postby Onex107 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:30 am

My MGL OAT is stuck into the right wing. During the time my heat muff is turned off the temp is pretty accurate, but in the winter it is influenced by cockpit temp. For instance on a 30 deg day it will read 60. Though when I'm not pumping air in through the muff, there is a negative pressure and a lot of cold air moving into the cockpit from the folding wing joint. I need to cover all the holes in the wing root.
OneX 107
N2107X
Onex107

Re: Inside Wing Temperature gauge???

Postby DCASonex » Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:13 pm

How big is the probe for your unit. I have my electronic probe mounted inside the plastic NACA air intake to cockpit. The plastic insulates it from the air frame and any heat that may pick up from engine.

David A.
DCASonex

Return to Onex