Transporting a Onex to the airport?

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Onex.

Transporting a Onex to the airport?

Postby structurespilot » Sun May 19, 2013 2:48 pm

Hello, I was wondering if anyone has a video of the process of: loading, trailering, and then unloading the Onex. The folding wings, and easy transportation, are often noted as good reason to choose the Onex, so how many people actually trailer their Onex to and from their residence, to the airport?
Here in Airdrie, (Alberta, Canada) outdoor grass parking spots go for $90 a month, so I can see where the trailer option has merit.

Regards, Norm
Waiex Tail kit built! Working on Corvair engine core.

Norm (structurespilot)
structurespilot

Re: Transporting a Onex to the airport?

Postby daleandee » Sun May 19, 2013 4:31 pm

Hi Norm,

The Sonex site states that for highway speeds the wings on the OneX are designed to be removed. Leaving the wings in place would require either an open trailer or a 7' door opening on an enclosed trailer. They state:

"The folding-wing design can fit into a standard 7’ garage door, and the wing panels can easily be removed for trailering at highway speeds."

More information here:

http://www.sonexaircraft.com/research/onex.html

Personally I like the wing fold design of the Panther Aircraft better than the OneX method:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... Tb8uiacKsk

I know this don't answer your specific question but I hope it helps ...

Dale Williams
N319WF @ 6J2
Myunn - "daughter of Cleanex"
120 HP - 3.0 Corvair
Tail Wheel - Center Stick
22:30 hours - Phase One
Status - Flying
daleandee

Postby structurespilot » Sun May 19, 2013 5:25 pm

Thanks for the response Dale. I do like the Panther folding mechanism, but both systems have merit.
I think if a person put their mind too it you could come up with a modified flat deck trailer with some wind protection for the wings. Another solution would be driving slower, if you don't have to go on the hwy.
I know that Dan has plans for a "Cougar" two place folding wing aircraft, but it would be cool to see Sonex make the Onex in a two seat tandem configuration. But that's another topic all together.

Norm
Waiex Tail kit built! Working on Corvair engine core.

Norm (structurespilot)
structurespilot

Postby nwyooper » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:24 pm

[youtube][/youtube]http://m.youtube.com/channel/UCiREJJVRHZ0jnskB9bwINSw
nwyooper

Postby BK9977 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:47 pm

Just watched that video. What a pain in the A%#... I honestly don't see the benefit to folding wings for transport. I can see the benefit for being able to stuff a couple of them into a hangar, but transporting it back and forth every time seems crazy to me. Not to mention the weight penalty for the bulk of the fold mechanism. No thanks. It is a lot easier to open the hangar door, roll it out, hop in and fire the motor up. none of this loading and unloading, folding and unfolding, etc...
BK9977

Postby Rynoth » Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:14 pm

Don't think anyone will argue that having a hangar isn't easier, but not everyone wants to pay rent.
Ryan Roth
N197RR - Waiex #197 (Turbo Aerovee Taildragger)
Knoxville, TN (Hangar at KRKW)
My project blog: http://www.rynoth.com/wordpress/waiex/
Time-lapse video of my build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8QTd2HoyAM
Rynoth

Postby Mike53 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:01 pm

Granted I thought the walking back and forth to raise the tail end was a bit much,but nothing that couldn't be much, improved upon .The Onex is the perfect answer to those of us that can't afford $3000+ per year for hanger space(10 years $30,000 or the price of another Onex ).As to the folding and unfolding of wings, I estimate less than 40 seconds so that is a non issue.
Affordability is the key to General aviations future and designs like the Onex and the Panther are one way of achieving that.
Cheers,
Mike
Mike
I know but one freedom, and that is the freedom of the mind.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Reserved C-FONX for the 80th Onex,Hummel 85HP ,Tri gear,GRT Mini X EFIS,and EMS,iFly 740 GPS
Mike53

Postby BK9977 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:48 pm

First, I have a really nice hangar that I dont even pay half of 3K a year, and I am on an expensive rent field, and one of the higher priced hangars there. The field I want to be at is less than a grand a year, tie down spots are really low cost...

As for transporting it. I still say it is not going to take off like everyone thinks. Having to load, then drive to the airport, try to find access (around here anything with a decent runway is fenced and gated) then you have to find somewhere to park the trailer at the airport that is out of the way, then unload, then preflight and fly. Land, fold everything up, re-load and drive back home and then if you want it in the garage out of the weather unload again...Not to mention if you need the extended tips it won't even fit in a std garage anyway. Plus you have to worry about dings from rocks and other road debris. Up here in Wisconsin no way I would take it on an open trailer with all the salt spraying up off the road in the winter months. We have salt from Nov until March. So that would eliminate 4-5 months of flying...Also you cant haul it at highway speeds on an open trailer. I guess if you want to make a custom enclosed trailer that it will fit in to avoid those problems it is going to cost a lot, I will stick with the sonex and a hangar.
BK9977

Postby Rynoth » Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:33 pm

BK9977. I think you've done a good job of ruling out your options of trailering a sonex/onex. I just want to say that, for myself, it's still a viable consideration, especially since the lowest hangar/covered space rent at an airport for me within 50 miles of my home is no less than $300/month.

I specifically bought a Waiex because it will fit in an enclosed trailer, giving me the option to hangar my plane wherever I need to, in its trailer. Whether this is the solution I choose is yet to be determined (I'm still building), but I'm keeping my options open.
Ryan Roth
N197RR - Waiex #197 (Turbo Aerovee Taildragger)
Knoxville, TN (Hangar at KRKW)
My project blog: http://www.rynoth.com/wordpress/waiex/
Time-lapse video of my build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8QTd2HoyAM
Rynoth

Postby Bryan Cotton » Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:04 am

I used to live in CT. Had no hope there of having an affordable hangar. Figured I would build a trailer for my hummelbird, or perhaps find somebody who would let me park under the wing of their Cessna. My buddies in FL pay ungodly rates for their hangars too. Having lived in upstate NY and now Illinois, just south of Wisconsin, I have been lucky to have had cheap hangar rent. But I recognize that not everybody in every part of the country is that lucky. If trailering works for somebody, then it works. Glider guys do it all the time.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Next

Return to Onex