Any Builders convert a Nose Gear to a Tail Wheel on a Onex

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Onex.

Any Builders convert a Nose Gear to a Tail Wheel on a Onex

Postby pilotyoung » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:45 am

I am looking to buy a Onex and I want a tailwheel airplane. I have been told it is fairly easy and not too expenseve to change a nosewheel to a tailwheel on a Onex. My question has anyone done it? If so, would you be willing to share the process, costs, etc. with me. Please call me at (205) 531-9959 or e-mail me at johndyoung@me.com.

Thanks.
pilotyoung

Re: Any Builders convert a Nose Gear to a Tail Wheel on a On

Postby thomasjones42 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:07 am

When I assembled my Onex tri-gear fuselage I put in an extra stiffner in the floor forward of the main spar in case I ever wanted to convert to a tail wheel. It completes the frame where the gear would go in the tailwheel position. That was easy to do at the time but will be more difficult in a completed plane. Turning the gear around for the tail wheel version will necessitate reversing the wheel pants and perhaps modifying their attachment. If you have Sonex hydraulic brakes, the lines will have to be rerouted and perhaps the brakes will need to be switched from one side to another. Not certain about that. I think without question you will have to remove some portion of the rear bottom fuselage panel to install the tailwheel gear. You will also have some holes in the firewall where the rudder pedal cables pass through for the nose gear and will need to install springs from each rudder pedal to the firewall. The springs would be a challenge in a completed plane. Other than the expense of the tail wheel parts I don't see much cost involved but there is a fair amount of labor and I believe you would almost need to remove the windscreen, glare shield and gas tank in order to do the work required.

Tom Jones
Onex 0133
Aerovee turbo
(703) 869-4009
thomasjones42

Return to Onex