Question regarding the wing lock mechanism

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Onex.

Question regarding the wing lock mechanism

Postby jcondon » Fri May 10, 2013 12:37 pm

I see on the OneX videos that the wing locking mechanism is a lever that is always extended below each wing. Pushing that lever to the rear apparently unlocks the wing and allows it to be folded. I can’t tell if there are other locking mechanisms involved but if not, I am concerned about a possible bird-strike on that lever when in flight, or during takeoff hitting a small bush or a large rabbit. Could that not unlock the wing and allow it to fold? Hopefully I am missing something.
jcondon

Re: Question regarding the wing lock mechanism

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Fri May 10, 2013 5:00 pm

I don't have a copy of the plans that illustrate the wing folding mechanism, but I do know there's a handle lock system incorporated into the design for just those reasons. If you watch the video of Jeremy demonstrating the wing fold procedure, you will see a smaller spring loaded lever that locks the main handle in place. This smaller handle is held in an "open" position with one hand while the main spar pin handle is moved backward with your other hand.

Great thought but I don't think you need to worry!
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby jcondon » Fri May 10, 2013 5:15 pm

Great! Thanks Mike.

I had suspected there was more to the locking mechanism than just that exposed lever but the demonstration video made it look so easy, I was a little concerned.
jcondon

Postby GLENDSMITH » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:37 pm

Pushing the lever to the rear locks the wing and pulling unlocks the wing. And there is a safety pin.
GLENDSMITH

Return to Onex