A couple of questions

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Onex.

Re: A couple of questions

Postby WesRagle » Thu May 09, 2019 11:27 pm

Thanks Brian,

Hey Gordon, are you out there?? Do you know where the "tool" is?

I'll send a private message as well.

P.S.
Nothing like hanging the noisy part on the front to get the blood pumping :-)
Temporary lexan firewall installed. Hope to make all of my mistakes on the lexan then transfer only the good holes to stainless.

We'll see.

Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Hummel 2400 w/Zenith Carb
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

Postby DCASonex » Fri May 10, 2019 9:15 am

The Oops fitting tools are back home and ready to go out again. Cost is that of shipping via Priority Mail (within the US) which is now about $7.20. to be included in box when returned. Gordon and Rick had some problems with the tools that seems to have been due to much too fine a grade of sanding mesh having been packed with the tools. That has been replaced with courser stuff. PM me your address to get them shipped out. Include your direct e-mail address and I will send a .pdf file with suggested instructions. (a copy is also packed with the tools)

David A.
DCASonex

Postby WesRagle » Fri May 10, 2019 9:23 am

Hi David,

PM sent.

Thanks
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

Postby WesRagle » Mon May 13, 2019 9:59 pm

Hi Guys,

Thanks David, got the tools today. Oops fittings should arrive Wednesday (I think).

While waiting on the bits to come together to install the oops fittings I have been working on the nose of the airplane. While fitting the cowl I made about 10 million sharpie marks. Per usual, I used alcohol to remove the marks. I got some alcohol on the inside of the cowl and it instantly got sticky. I didn't expect such a mild solvent to have that effect.

Being what it is, the cowl needs to be a bit more resistant to solvents, oil, fuel, etc.

Questions:

1) I have West Systems epoxy on hand. Is West Systems compatible with whatever the cowl is made of? That is, can I seal the inside of the cowl with a coat of West Systems epoxy?

2) What did you guys use to trim the Lexan windshield?

Thanks for Your Time.
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

Postby wlarson861 » Mon May 13, 2019 11:22 pm

I just fitted a new cowl from Sonex for a legacy Sonex. I used West system epoxy to both add cloth and Micro balloon filler. It didn't seem to be an issue.
Bill Larson
N861SX
Sonex, polished, tail wheel, Generation 4 Jabiru 3300
wlarson861

Postby dirkverdonck » Tue May 14, 2019 3:51 am

Hi Wes,
After nearly a year without doing anything to the inside of the cowling, all is fine. The resistance to fuel and oil is apparently ok.
I used angled grinders to cut the windshield, see pics. One equipped with a very fine cutting disk, the other with a flap disk to grind afterwards.
Attachments
304. Canopy.JPG
304. Canopy.JPG (86.92 KiB) Viewed 4259 times
Dirk Verdonck
Leffinge, Belgium
Onex #117
Taildragger, Aerovee 2.1, MGL iEFIS, TRIG radio and Transponder, electric flaps, external elevator trim, shortened wingtips, hydraulic brakes, hightened seat pan, extra inspection panels, etc
dirkverdonck

Postby WaiexN143NM » Tue May 14, 2019 5:54 am

hi wes,
we used the contego latex fire barrier avbl from aircraft spruce to coat the inside of the cowl. about $30 a quart. a foam brush and 30 min and it looks great.

WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM

Postby Bryan Cotton » Tue May 14, 2019 7:48 am

We used a bandsaw to trim both the windshield and canopy. We finished with a belt sander then a sanding block. Final pass was just sandpaper held by hand to knock off the corners.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby DCASonex » Tue May 14, 2019 8:23 am

Best thing i have found to trim windshield, canopy and cowl parts is one of the oscillating multi-tools with a fine tooth half moon blade. Trick is to first drag a shallow cut line, then deepen it with successive passes rather than cutting through in one go. This avoid shaking the material being cut since cutting action occurs along the surface, not at right angles. If cutting off a large piece, be sure to support the cut off part so that the last remaining bit is not stressed by weight of cut off part.

When working with Lexan, it is very important to insure the cutting tools, including drill bits, taps, and saw blades, are not contaminated with any oils or other residue, or cracks will develop. With acrylic, like the canopy, avoid all scratches, and rough edges. and try \to install so that there is little or no residual stress in the material from pushing it into shape. (Unfortunately, the latter was almost impossible on the old A series Sonex as the canopy was curved where it needed to join the straight sides of the fuselage.)

David A.
DCASonex

Postby DCASonex » Tue May 14, 2019 8:34 am

Michael,

Thanks for the note on the Contego fire barrier paint. was not ware of its existence, looks like good idea. Will have to see if can get my 7 year old cowl clean enough to try that.

David A.
DCASonex

PreviousNext

Return to Onex