A couple of questions

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Onex.

Re: A couple of questions

Postby WesRagle » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:31 pm

Hi guys,

This wiring stuff is going to take a while. I need to go ahead and mount the antenna so I can route he antenna wire accurately. Need to figure out how to mount the headset sockets aft of the seat. I can't stand head set wires in my lap.

I pulled the PTT wires up through the control stick to see how that was going to work. At that point it occurred to me that the stick seemed too long. I may need to remove the stick and cut it down a little so I won't have to move my hand up on the stick to use the radio.

Question: Did any of you Onex guys cut the stick down?

On a happy note, the "corrugated Loom Tubing" is working well for conduit. This is the first time I've used it. When you need to break out a wire just put a zip tie around the tube and break it out.

I'll trim the engine side some, fill the end with high temp RTV, rivet a guard around the grommet, and call that done.

Also, I have a ton of EIS wires that I am not going to use. Still trying to decide what to do with them.

Wes
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Hummel 2400 w/Zenith Carb
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

Postby lgsievila » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:40 pm

Hi Wes,
Did not cut my stick but wish I had located my headset connection like you plan on doing-did not think of it. Your wiring looks great!
Loren Sievila
Conventional Gear Onex33
CAMit 2200
Dynon Skyview
lgsievila

Postby WesRagle » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:18 pm

lgsievila wrote:Hi Wes,
Did not cut my stick but wish I had located my headset connection like you plan on doing-did not think of it. Your wiring looks great!

Hey Loren,

Thanks, I was careful not to show the part that still looks like a rats nest :-)

Question for you: Did you use the factory seat cushions ? If so, did the seat bottom have a zipper for swapping out the foam?

Thanks,

Wes
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

Postby WesRagle » Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:56 pm

I'm in the boonies without a keybord so I'll be brief.

I have trim tabs that give me straight and level in climb and cruise. I reduce power and the plane instantly yaws left.

Why? Is there a fix?

Odd feeeling holding right rudder in a left turn for landing.

Thanks,

Wes
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

Postby sonex1374 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:35 am

Wes,

I get the same situation with my Jabiru. The trim tab on the rudder is set for cruise, is pretty close for climb, and all wrong for power-off glide. I'd need to adjust the engine thrust line (add right thrust) to correct this. All Sonex planes are set with no offset regardless of engine, so we'll all need varying degrees of rudder trim as power and airspeed change.

Short of modifying your engine and cowl, offsetting the nose of the vertical stab to one side, or adding an adjustable rudder trim tab you may just have to live with it.

Jeff
Jeff Shultz
Sonex TD, 3300, AeroInjector
Kansas City, MO
http://www.sonex604.com
sonex1374

Postby GraemeSmith » Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:27 pm

I have rudder tabbed my Sonex and adjusted it for hands and feet off in straight and level at cruise speed.

That means left foot on in a climb and right foot in a dive.

--

On a Cessna 150 with a right turning engine and even with the engine mount offset slightly - once the tab was truly set up for straight and level feet and hands off - it was right foot in the climb and left foot in the dive.
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Postby WesRagle » Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:06 pm

Hi Guys,

The yaw when pulled to idle is caused by the twisted prop blast that hits the vertical going away, correct?

Wes
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

Postby Outlaw6 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:04 pm

Torque, spiraling slipstream, P-factor, and gyroscopic precession are the turning tendencies created by the propeller that you need the trim for in the first place, at idle or off the propeller is no longer creating turning tendencies so you use your foot to counteract the trim that's not needed at idle.
I wish my Aerovee's thrust line was offset :( It's a pain to trim yaw in a Waiex.
Waiex N176WS (Tri-Gear Aerovee Turbo)
Outlaw6

Postby WesRagle » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:17 pm

Yeah, I remember. I was hoping someone would agree that the only one of the forces that would cause an instant yaw while flying level at 100 mph when power is pulled is the "spiraling slipstream" being taken away.

Wes
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

Postby radfordc » Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:22 pm

WesRagle wrote:Yeah, I remember. I was hoping someone would agree that the only one of the forces that would cause an instant yaw while flying level at 100 mph when power is pulled is the "spiraling slipstream" being taken away.

Wes

Yes, the spiral slipstream changes when you reduce power. But, torque also changes, as does P-factor, and gyroscopic procession. Which effect is the most dominant....probably slipstream and torque. P-factor isn't a major factor except at higher AoA and gyro procession is most noticeable when turning or pitching.
radfordc

PreviousNext

Return to Onex