A couple of questions

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Onex.

A couple of questions

Postby WesRagle » Tue May 07, 2019 8:40 pm

HI Guys,

I have just about worked myself out of the tail and find myself considering fuel, FWF, instruments, ...

I have a rather old Onex kit. The fuel tank fittings are molded into the tank.

Question: Should I go ahead and replace the fittings now? If so, all of them?

I am going for a budget panel for the time being. I am considering purchasing the Yaesu FTA750L. That will give me comm and a simple GPS for those occasional cross country trips. So, nav and comm for about $350. I intend to use an external antenna

Question: Is anyone else using a Yaesu FTA750L in the cockpit? Is the radio capable of xmit while charging? Do you receive side tone in the headset? Any comments regarding this radio appreciated.

I intend to use a GRT EIS. It's ugly, but it is affordable and it just works.
Question: Is there a pre-packaged system ready for a VW conversion.

I have already purchased a used ASI/Altimeter from Sonex LLC. The only flight instrument I need is a compass.
Question: Can anyone point me to a cheap little compass that will mount on the glare shield that you are happy with?

Right now I'm thinking I should have the entire plane, less wings, finished before I worry about building the wing stubs.
Question: Am I thinking right?

I'm sure I will come up with more questions, but that's enough for now :-)

Thanks,
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Hummel 2400 w/Zenith Carb
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

Re: A couple of questions

Postby dirkverdonck » Wed May 08, 2019 3:29 am

Hi Wes,
I have no leaks with the molded fittings so far....but I have properly secured the fuel line and valve so no torque can be exercised on the molded fittings. You can easily install a remotely operated fuel valve, see pic.
As far as going cheap for now, this might be the wrong way to go as changing the instrument panel will be quite difficult afterwards if you leave the set-up as per plans.
I made the glareshield and instrument panel completely removeable and moved the panel backwards by 3" to create more room for wiring and instruments.
My radio and transponder from TRIG have a split set-up, the controller in the panel and the transmission units are installed on the floor in front of the main spar. They fit well into the Onex panel and are very good quality.
My set-up might not be the best but it works and is easy to work on and inspect.
Attachments
Instr panel.JPG
Instr panel.JPG (56.41 KiB) Viewed 6744 times
IMG_0387.JPG
IMG_0387.JPG (67.86 KiB) Viewed 6744 times
IMG_0250.JPG
IMG_0250.JPG (79.55 KiB) Viewed 6744 times
Fuel System (1).JPG
Fuel System (1).JPG (34.85 KiB) Viewed 6744 times
Dirk Verdonck
Leffinge, Belgium
Onex #117
Taildragger, Aerovee 2.1, MGL iEFIS, TRIG radio and Transponder, electric flaps, external elevator trim, shortened wingtips, hydraulic brakes, hightened seat pan, extra inspection panels, etc
dirkverdonck

Postby Bryan Cotton » Wed May 08, 2019 7:21 am

I replaced my fittings in my Waiex, reasoning was it is much easier before final installation. I did not do all the fittings, just the ones in the bottom.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby kmacht » Wed May 08, 2019 11:28 am

WesRagle wrote:HI Guys,

I am going for a budget panel for the time being. I am considering purchasing the Yaesu FTA750L. That will give me comm and a simple GPS for those occasional cross country trips. So, nav and comm for about $350. I intend to use an external antenna

Question: Is anyone else using a Yaesu FTA750L in the cockpit? Is the radio capable of xmit while charging? Do you receive side tone in the headset? Any comments regarding this radio appreciated.

I intend to use a GRT EIS. It's ugly, but it is affordable and it just works.
Question: Is there a pre-packaged system ready for a VW conversion.

I have already purchased a used ASI/Altimeter from Sonex LLC. The only flight instrument I need is a compass.
Question: Can anyone point me to a cheap little compass that will mount on the glare shield that you are happy with?

Thanks,

I went a similar route (cheap and functional panel). I don't have experience with the Yaesu radio but am running an Icom A6 handheld as my comm. It works just fine with an external antenna mounted on the belly. For the headset I ran it through a SPA-400 panel mount intercom I bought used for around $50. It's not as powerful as some of the dedicated panel mount radios but it works and was inexpensive.

Another option besides the Grand Rapids EIS is to find an older MGL stratomaster. They give you the standard 6 pack of instruments plus a decent engine monitor. I picked mine up from another sonex builder that was upgrading to an Enigma for $400 including the CHT and EGT probes. A post on here may find a few people who have one sitting around. Again, it isn't a new color EFIS with moving maps and data recording but is functional and inexpensive. You won't spend much time staring at the panel flying around VFR anyway.

For the compass, visit a local boating store. They have inexpensive compasses that are decent quality and are made to be tilted and turned at different angles.

Keith
kmacht

Postby WesRagle » Wed May 08, 2019 12:47 pm

dirkverdonck wrote:Hi Wes,
As far as going cheap for now, this might be the wrong way to go as changing the instrument panel will be quite difficult afterwards if you leave the set-up as per plans.
I made the glareshield and instrument panel completely removeable and moved the panel backwards by 3" to create more room for wiring and instruments.

Hi Dirk,

I made my glareshield and panel removable as well. A lot of #6 nutplates and screws but I feel sure I will be glad I did it. Moving the panel 3" aft seems like a good idea as well. I intend to install a standard push/pull/friction lock throttle control. I did notice that the reach forward to the panel is a little far forward. I will probably have to lean in to adjust throttle. We'll see (haven't made the cushion yet).

As for the instruments, in keeping with the Onex primary mission (and my budget) as a fun, local, VFR flier, I don't need a complex panel. For now I just want airspeed and altitude front and center and an EIS keeping an eye on the VW. Since the panel and glareshield are removable, and the plane is trailerable, I can bring it home and make upgrades as time and budget allow.

I really like the fuel cut off. Clever to make the bend in the attached control handle to eliminate all unnecessary torque.

As odd as this may sound, I really don't think this plane will ever be finished. If I ever say "done", what will I do next? The tinker factor on these planes is through the roof :-)

Bryan Cotton wrote:I replaced my fittings in my Waiex, reasoning was it is much easier before final installation. I did not do all the fittings, just the ones in the bottom.

Hi Bryan,

Sounds reasonable. I did make the front end to be disassembled, but I had rather dissemble it for modifications, not repair :-)

kmacht wrote:For the compass, visit a local boating store. They have inexpensive compasses that are decent quality and are made to be tilted and turned at different angles.
Keith

Hi Keith,

Will do.
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

Postby Bryan Cotton » Wed May 08, 2019 1:24 pm

Also, I got a real aircraft compass off of eBay for not much money.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby dirkverdonck » Wed May 08, 2019 4:25 pm

hHi Wes,
About the throttle control, I used the Aeroconversions combined throttle and mixture control which I installed further backwards and lower on the left cockpit sidewall, see pic.
The idea was to be able to control power with my elbow rested in my lap. The original Sonex set-up is way too high to be comfortable.
Dirk Verdonck
Leffinge, Belgium
Onex #117
Taildragger, Aerovee 2.1, MGL iEFIS, TRIG radio and Transponder, electric flaps, external elevator trim, shortened wingtips, hydraulic brakes, hightened seat pan, extra inspection panels, etc
dirkverdonck

Postby WesRagle » Wed May 08, 2019 10:23 pm

HI Dirk,

Yea, I like my arm supported while adjusting throttle. In my case my arm will be supported by the throttle knob itself.

Wes
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

Postby WesRagle » Thu May 09, 2019 4:34 pm

Hi Guys,

I have ordered the OOPS fittings. I seem to recall that there is a tool floating around that makes the smoothing of the inside of the holes of the tank easier.

Question: Is that tool still around? Is it available for loan?

Thanks,

Wes
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle