Aileron bellcrank adjustment

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Onex.

Aileron bellcrank adjustment

Postby Eckenroth » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:47 pm

I would appreciate any tips on adjusting the aileron bellcrank set screws, especially the inboard. I am using the locknuts for the set screw that came with the kit and so far can only make adjustments by removing the paddle from the end rib. I think I must be missing the obvious since I have not found any mention of this adjustment as being a problem. How did you make these adjustments.

Thanks
Paul
Eckenroth

Re: Aileron bellcrank adjustment

Postby Bryan Cotton » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:07 pm

I believe I popped the rod end off the bellcrank and/or the stick to adjust the length.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby Rynoth » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:59 pm

The only way to adjust the lengths of the pushrods would be to detach a rod end from the bell crank or control stick assembly, loosen the stop-nut, and turn the rod end one way or the other, then tighten the stop-nut and re-attach the rod end.

The bellcrank itself doesn't have any adjustment options, all you can do is lengthen/shorten the pushrods at the rod ends.
Ryan Roth
N197RR - Waiex #197 (Turbo Aerovee Taildragger)
Knoxville, TN (Hangar at KRKW)
My project blog: http://www.rynoth.com/wordpress/waiex/
Time-lapse video of my build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8QTd2HoyAM
Rynoth

Postby Eckenroth » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:21 am

I believe that the set screw would be needed to adjust the paddles parallel to each other and to take up space between the two when the wings are locked. By trying to do the space adjustment with the push rod would not accomplish the same thing. I want to adjust the set screw after final assembly and I can't easily access the hex drive without disassembling the paddle. I'm hoping that someone has figured out a method that is not apparent to me.

Paul
Eckenroth

Postby Rynoth » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:59 pm

If you're wanting to change the centering of the bellcrank itself, the only way to do so would be to change the length of both pushrods connected to the bellcrank, i.e. the bellcrank to control stick pushrod, AND the bellcrank to aileron pushrod. I'm not sure what you're referring to by "set screw".

edit: I just realized that this is a Onex question, I'm sorry. The mechanism in the Onex may be different than the other models.
Ryan Roth
N197RR - Waiex #197 (Turbo Aerovee Taildragger)
Knoxville, TN (Hangar at KRKW)
My project blog: http://www.rynoth.com/wordpress/waiex/
Time-lapse video of my build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8QTd2HoyAM
Rynoth

Postby XenosN42 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:27 pm

Eckenroth wrote:I believe that the set screw would be needed to adjust the paddles parallel to each other and to take up space between the two when the wings are locked. By trying to do the space adjustment with the push rod would not accomplish the same thing. I want to adjust the set screw after final assembly and I can't easily access the hex drive without disassembling the paddle. I'm hoping that someone has figured out a method that is not apparent to me.

Paul

Hi Paul,

I adjusted the set screws on my OneX about 4 years ago. It wasn't easy. I could (barely) reach the back side of the set screws by inserting my hand into one of the inspection plates. This is one of those exercises where you'll need to feel what you are doing because you won't be able to see the set screw. It'll also be a test of how well you deburred the edges of the inspection hole. That's a good place to get an accidental cut. I covered the edges with two layers of masking tape just in case.

-- Michael
OneX N169XE
-- Michael
OneX N169XE
author of the 'Flight Data Viewer'
XenosN42

Postby Bryan Cotton » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:52 pm

Sorry, I didn't realize you had a Onex until Ryan pointed it out.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby Gordon » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:10 pm

Onex Paddle Adjustment

Hey Paul...….adjusting those "aileron paddles" is a bit tricky but quite doable. You need to hold the set screw with an Allen wrench and "break loose" the jam nut and then proceed with the adjustment …..in or out....and then lock it up with the jam nut.

If you want to email me direct we can converse some more on this subject..... gdbaxter78@gmail.com

Gordon...…..Hummel 2400.....Onex 0024...….Hobbs 15.1 hours
Gordon

Postby Gordon » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:18 am

Onex Wing Paddle Adjustment

Hey Paul.....just to add to my comment yesterday on adjusting the Onex wing paddles.....

I should have also mentioned.....to do this adjustment, you fold the wings into the "up position" and then you can reach through the wing rib lightning holes PLUS up through the inspection holes to get your Allen wrench in there and break loose the jam nut.

Once you make a small adjustment , then drop the wing back down and check the ailerons for "free play". After 2 or 3 times of tweaking that "set screw" you should reach the proper adjustment of "no slop" in the ailerons.

Good luck.

Gordon........Hummel 2400.....Onex
Gordon

Re: Onex aileron bellcrank adjustment

Postby Eckenroth » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:19 pm

I appreciate the responses. Did you all use the Sonex supplied jam nuts which are lock nuts. If so you would need to get an allen wrench plus the 1/2" open end wrench which would require two hands into the inspection hole. The only way I can see that the adjustment is workable is if you use regular jam nuts which is not what is specified. What am I missing.

Paul
Eckenroth

Next

Return to Onex