Fuel Sensor for Dynon

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Onex.

Fuel Sensor for Dynon

Postby gcm52 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:54 pm

I am trying to figure out what the best fuel sensor/probe is to work with Dynon Skyview. Have any of you been down this road?
George Mueller
Onex Trigear
Rotax 912 ULS
gcm52

Re: Fuel Sensor for Dynon

Postby jeff0196 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:13 pm

Sonex sells the fuel probe:SNX-G01-15. I bought that in preparation to run on my Dynon Skyview. The probe has two outputs so it works with almost every avionics system including Dynon. Princeton-electronics makes the probe and has the correct instructions on their website at:

https://www.princeton-electronics.com/u ... obe_v2.pdf

Unfortunately at the time I am making this post, the instructions on the Sonex website, and the instructions that were packed in the package with my new style probe (labeled v4 with red, black, green, and yellow output wires) from Sonex are for their older model probes (to my knowledge- physically different, no yellow wire) - so reference the instructions from the Princeton-electronics website and I think you should be good.

I have not powered my unit up yet, but have no reason to beleive that it would not work as intended with the Dynon system.
Jeffrey W
Waiex 0196
AeroVee Turbo
jeff0196

Postby DCASonex » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:16 am

Have one of those feeding my GRT Sport SX, works great, BUT if not already aware of it, never let fuel containing ethanol anywhere near that thing.

David A.
DCASonex

Postby LarryEWaiex121 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:09 pm

George,

Used what is referred to as the "big red fuel cube" as sold by Dynon. This in combination with my Skyview has worked flawlessly for the past 8 yrs. Reported fuel burn vs. actual fuel onboard is normally within 1 or 2 tenths of a gallon. Pretty darned accurate.
Its been too long since I wired my plane to remember the issue I had with my Princeton fuel probe, but there was and issue. Something about capacitance vs. resistance if I remember correctly. The unit I got from Sonex was incorrect for the Dynon way of reading.
Once I called Princeton, they set me on the right path and its been trouble free since.

Larry
Waiex121YX
LarryEWaiex121

Postby gcm52 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:47 am

LarryEWaiex121 wrote:George,

Used what is referred to as the "big red fuel cube" as sold by Dynon. This in combination with my Skyview has worked flawlessly for the past 8 yrs. Reported fuel burn vs. actual fuel onboard is normally within 1 or 2 tenths of a gallon. Pretty darned accurate.
Its been too long since I wired my plane to remember the issue I had with my Princeton fuel probe, but there was and issue. Something about capacitance vs. resistance if I remember correctly. The unit I got from Sonex was incorrect for the Dynon way of reading.
Once I called Princeton, they set me on the right path and its been trouble free since.

Larry
Waiex121YX

So if I am understanding correctly, you have the red cube to measure fuel flow and a Princeton sensor to measure fuel level in the tank?
George Mueller
Onex Trigear
Rotax 912 ULS
gcm52

Postby LarryEWaiex121 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:05 pm

George,

That is correct.
LarryEWaiex121

Postby DCASonex » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:24 am

Identical setup here, but feeding a GRT Sport SX, and works every bit as well as Larry says. Key to accurate reading with the red cube seems to be to get long straight run going into i to get rid of any turbulence. My setup works well enough that when the sight gauge line started to get hard and brittle, I simply eliminated it.

David A.
DCASonex

Postby gcm52 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:46 pm

Princeton Electronics has a fuel sensor custom for the Onex, so I went ahead and ordered it, just to close the circle on this...
George Mueller
Onex Trigear
Rotax 912 ULS
gcm52

Return to Onex