Nose Wheel Pant Fin

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Onex.

Nose Wheel Pant Fin

Postby vhhomer » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:18 am

I have noticed some reluctance to come back to center when the rudder is deflected at low speed on my trigear Onex. Needless to say, this is a surprise when turning on final. Has anyone else experienced this and does anyone have a fin on their nose wheel pant? I also have a Sonex trigear and it has a fin on the nose wheel pant.

Vince Homer
Onex, Jab 3300, N362DV
Sonex, Jab 3300, N362DR
vhhomer

Re: Nose Wheel Pant Fin

Postby Onex107 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:55 am

My Onex is a Aerovee nose dragger. What I did may not apply to the larger engine, but, I noticed in the first 100 hours that the tail had to be constantly monitored to keep it centered behind you. I determined that the rudder hinge gap was upsetting the air flow on that side and unbalancing the rudder, so, I added a gap seal to cover the gap. It did make a significant difference. It's a simple addition to add a piece of .010 alum. to the inside, over the skin rivet tails on that side. The first installation was made with double stick tape, which worked O.K. for many hours, but, then I also added gap seals to the elevators. This change made a definite change in my trim setting on the first flight after the change. And I changed the rudder seal to being riveted in three or four places. My conclusion is the hinge gaps do effect the "lift" on that side of the rudder/elevators. I would definitely make the change again.
OneX 107
N2107X
Onex107

Postby Gordon » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:10 pm

Rudder Gap Seal on Onex 107......?

Having read your comments on adding a gap seal to the rudder on the Onex.......I have experienced the same lack of directional stability with my Onex tail dragger. This is more profound at slow speeds in the pattern.

If I kick the rudder and cause the airplane to skid sideways at slower speeds it doesn't like to return on it's own. At high speeds it returns a little better. I might try adding a "gap seal" like you did.

Would you comment some more on how the Onex improved with this mod? If you have any pictures of the seal you added send them to my personal email........

Thanks for your help........... gdbaxter78@gmail.com

Gordon........Hummel 2400.....Onex 0024.....Hobbs 14.1 hours
Gordon

Postby sonex1678 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:41 am

It would be nice to have any photos of the gap seals posted to the forum so more of us can see...sounds like a simple and worth while mod but would be nice to see actual set up :)
Douglas B Scripture
Sonex 1678
sonex1678

Postby Bryan Cotton » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:48 pm

I'll add another vote - would like to see the gap seal pictures.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Return to Onex