Canopy

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Onex.

Canopy

Postby Txairmale » Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:42 pm

Can anyone offer a suggestion with fitting the canopy along the bottom rails (above the longerons)? Considering the side bulges on the canopy, my canopy has some "curl" in it so that the material is not parallel to the square tubes.

It would seem critical that the canopy material be flush along the two square tubes but it appears I will either have to try to reform the canopy with heat or put a considerable amount of force along the the bottom edge to pull the lower canopy edge against the tubes.
Txairmale

Re: Canopy

Postby Bryan Cotton » Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:40 pm

Welcome to the forums! Adam and I built our canopy with that twist and it made it very hard to latch and unlatch. We reshaped it after and now it is great. Shoot me an email and I'll send you some pictures. My Gmail address is my first name, last name, and serial number (191) all jammed together.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby Gordon » Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:38 am

Onex Canopy Issues...........

If you send me your email a.d. I can send you photos of the canopy installation (I have a LOT of photos of this). I think Bryan Cotton's is a Sonex which is much different than the Onex although he may have some good tips as well.

I have done 4 RV tip up canopies over the years and this Onex was a bigger challenge than any RV canopy. Mine resembled a "Plexiglas football"........the sides stuck out 3" from the frame......however I did NOT heat the canopy for fear of permanent distortion......once I figured out the method, I was able to draw the sides in and drill it to the frame.

The finished canopy turned out really well but it was not easy.......go slow and don't get in a hurry......and use "plastic drills". gdbaxter78@gmail.com

Gordon.......Hummel 2400....Onex...Hobbs at 14 hours.
Gordon

Postby Bryan Cotton » Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:43 pm

Page 94 of my thread - I replaced the missing pictures.
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=578&p=31063#p31063

I think this is applicable to a Onex as well.

I have one Waiex canopy, and one each C140 and Aeronca Chief windshield on my resume. Actually on the Aeronca Chief I had other people's teenagers do the work, I just taught them.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby railer833 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:40 pm

I’m new to the forum. I just bought a Onex kit that is pretty much finished but the canopy is not done or started for that matter. I’m going to start on it this weekend and I wanted to see if someone has a set of pictures that are really detailed showing the frame assembly. I personally am not a fan of the lack of detail on this section of the Sonex drawings. This is my first Sonex kit but 3rd experimental kit I have worked on. Any help
Would be much appreciated
Thanks
Darrin
railer833

Return to Onex