Auto Pilot without Trim System?

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Onex.

Auto Pilot without Trim System?

Postby Bacon8tor » Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:28 pm

I’m about halfway finished with Onex SN 164 and am thinking of installing an auto pilot. Many of you have mentioned that the stick forces in the Onex are so light that a trim system isn’t necessary. If that’s the case will an auto pilot be able to control the airplane in all phases of flight without a trim system? Or what about just cruise flight with the airplane already trimmed for such?
John Bacon
Henderson, NV
Onex 164 N702JB Reserved
95% done.....
Bacon8tor

Re: Auto Pilot without Trim System?

Postby keithrhode » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:16 pm

all autopilots should be engaged after stick forces are trimmed off. Even thou Onex has light stick forces it should still have a pitch trim system.
keithrhode

Re: Auto Pilot without Trim System?

Postby Gordon » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:35 pm

Onex Trim System........?

I have 14 hours on my Onex now and yes the stick forces are very light but I would NOT want to delete the trim system.

I have the Sonex version (not a trim tab) which works "just okay". I prefer a trim tab but this does seem to do the job. I do not have an auto pilot which would be nice to have.... as this Onex needs to be "hand flown" ALL the time. It will wander off course quite easily.......unlike my RV-7 (regrettable sold).

Gordon.....Hummel 2400.....Onex
Gordon

Return to Onex