Onex Windshield

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Onex.

Onex Windshield

Postby Onex107 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:33 am

My windshield has many cracks. All are my fault and I plan on replacing it at the next inspection. The cracks are caused by spilled fuel (auto gas). I failed to read the manual before the first spill. My question to the rest of the Onex owners is: Has anyone eliminated this problem? My theory is that the bend of the plastic causes tensile stress in the outer surface and a drop of gasoline, or any other solvent, will relieve it and allow it to crack below the surface.

Just thinking out loud. What if the bent surface were heated to relax the surface tension would that reduce the propensity to crack? I don't have any idea how much heat would be required. Any plastic, for lack of a better word, experts out there?

I have gone through the different designs of fuel cans/spouts and there is no guarantee they will not leak or drip, for several different reasons.
OneX 107
N2107X
Onex107

Re: Onex Windshield

Postby Gordon » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:42 am

Onex Fuel Spills..........The Answer

Fueling my Onex was a big concern but I found the answer that works for me. I bought a Flo-Fast transfer system at the Fleet Farm store in Oshkosh in July. To see how this works and determine if it is right for you Google "Flo-Fast utube" and watch the 6 minute video. This is used for fueling up boats and ATV's, etc. and works as advertised.

I bought the 10.5 gal version and it pumps 8 gals. per minute....when you stop cranking (fueling) turn the crank backwards a half turn and it sucks backwards and never spills a drop. I strapped mine on to a small 2 wheel cart to move it around in the hanger. I fill my Jerry cans in the back of my pickup, set them in the hanger, then stick the Flo-Fast hose in the Jerry can and turn the crank BACKWARDS.....it sucks all the fuel from the Jerry can into my Flo-Fast container, then I wheel it over to the airplane and pump it in to the Onex.

This unit is a little pricey at $270.00 but it works excellent. It is made in the U.S.A. and is a quality product.

Gordon......Hummel 2400......Onex....Hobbs 12.4 hours.
Gordon

Return to Onex