Manual Trim In a Onex

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Onex.

Re: Manual Trim In a Onex

Postby dirkverdonck » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:55 am

Hi All,
My trim wheel was bought from e-bay and originates from a Piper Pacer. I removed the trim position indicator system and only used the wheel with it's internal braking system and cable drum.
Dirk Verdonck
Leffinge, Belgium
Onex #117
Taildragger, Aerovee 2.1, MGL iEFIS, TRIG radio and Transponder, electric flaps, external elevator trim, shortened wingtips, hydraulic brakes, hightened seat pan, extra inspection panels, etc
dirkverdonck

Postby Onex107 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:53 pm

If you are going to use the Dial a Trim I recommend that you mount it face up on the front of the main spar next to your left knee. Mounted on the panel you have to use your finger tips to move it. Mounted face up you use the palm of your hand. It takes so little trim, two or three quarter turns to correct any nose up or down. The Onex flaps do not have to be trimmed out. The stick load is so light that I don't trim from one flight to the next, and then only at cruise to compensate for added fuel. Why would you trim for climb out or decent. If you had a problem during either one and had to quickly descend or climb you wouldn't want to be messing with trim. I know that four seat Cessna's are very nose heavy with no one in the back seat and the wheel gets heavy on landing. But the Onex. Not.
OneX 107
N2107X
Onex107

Postby WesRagle » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:27 pm

Hi Guys,

Life has conspired to keep me off the Onex project. I'm back at it now and hope to make some progress.

Today I bit the bullet and decided on where to put the trim handle. I will extend the panel down below the cross brace and install a standard push/pull throttle.
We'll see if the location causes any unforeseen problems :-) In any event, I now have an unobstructed reach for all controls.

Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Hummel 2400 w/Zenith Carb
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

Postby WesRagle » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:52 pm

HI Guys,

I was cleaning up the shop... a little, and snapped a pic to preserve the part numbers of what I used to make my trim system. The "fully lubricated" cable housing results in a nice oil damped, silky smooth feel.

Wes
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Hummel 2400 w/Zenith Carb
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

Previous

Return to Onex