Late Summer Onex Flight

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Onex.

Re: Late Summer Onex Flight

Postby Stogie6 » Fri May 04, 2018 2:26 pm

No.
David F. Jones
Memphis (Mud Island), TN
Aerovee powered Onex
N153TD
Based at KAWM and in the midst of Phase 1
Stogie6

Postby SonexN76ET » Fri May 04, 2018 2:31 pm

Ed,

The fittings I reference are all are all AN fittings. 6AN to be exact.

Jake
Sonex Tri Gear, Rotax 912 ULS, Sensenich 3 Blade Ground Adjustable Propeller
MGL Velocity EMS, Garmin GTR 200 Comm, GTX 335 ADS B Out Transponder
ILevil AW AHRS & ADS-B In, UAvionix AV20S
200+ hours previously with Aerovee engine
Sarasota, Florida
SonexN76ET

Postby Stogie6 » Fri May 04, 2018 3:03 pm

Fellow Sonex'ers.
I put the video up on the site to get the reaction that was posted by you. Your input has been noted and will be carefully reviewed for the desired results (and that is fun, safe flying). Funny what you will learn as an experimental airplane builder. I was not much of a gearhead prior to the build, but am getting there. My build partner (my Dad) has all the knowledge, but lives too far away to assist in my Phase I ground ops. So, I am solo on changes and adjustments. I am following the setup for the aeroinjector as stated in the manual (and as broadcasted in Jeff Shultz's podcast no. 7 - thanks for this tool Major). I burn only 100LL as it is readily available on my field. My fuel system is pretty close to the opinions posted (with exception of a fuel strainer to drain water, etc. - this will be figured out). The thing that I will probably do next will be to insulate the exhaust and other heat source systems, adjust the idle and check for smooth engine operations per the manual. My fuel line has fire sleeve material installed, but may double down on this insulation. Towards the end of the video, my battery was stubborn to turn the prop. A new batt. has been installed (part of the condition inspection) so that should not be an issue any time soon. If anybody is traversing the country and want to drop in (KAWM), let me know and the Memphis BBQ will be on me.
Again, I appreciate all comments. Lessons learned are valuable.
David F. Jones
Memphis (Mud Island), TN
Aerovee powered Onex
N153TD
Based at KAWM and in the midst of Phase 1
Stogie6

Postby Gordon » Sat May 05, 2018 11:24 am

Fuel Fittings..........?

Just a small point regarding aluminum fuel fittings on the engine/carb. In this country (Canada) they are "non-compliant" and thus would not pass "final inspection". They must be steel fittings on the engine. Another point that differs from the U.S.A......an inline fuel filter will not pass inspection, it is not allowed.... and you must have a gascolator in your fuel system to be "incompliance" to get your "C of A" before first flight.

Something to think about for any Canadian builders.

Gordon......Onex......Hummel 2400
Gordon

Postby Hoosier 6 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:37 pm

It looks like this video captures (12:40 mark) an engine stumble during take-off of a Onex. I don't know the background about the plane's engine, carb, fuel routing, etc. but it sounds like what others have described in this thread. I'm thankful for Mike Singleton who posted the video, since it helps to visually drive home the significance of an engine issue during take-off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jh8qhW_66qM
Hoosier 6

Previous

Return to Onex