Phase I Flying Report

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Onex.

Phase I Flying Report

Postby Stogie6 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:33 pm

Well fellow "Folding Wing" Fliers...thought I would drop a quick note as to the progress of my Phase I flying.
First flight was Father's Day of 2017 (almost barely remember what and how...).
Second Flight was delayed due to family and other life issues - moving, new job, etc. This flight was better but was short due to the Aerovee developing a burp. This occurred around mid August - so it was rather warm.
Third flight was this past Thursday - -8 February 2018. Weather finally cooperated with calm winds, blue skies and a temperature of 50 or so degrees. I will not lie about this, but after reading all posts concerning the Aerovee and performance numbers, and such, I was nervous. I did all the preflight checklist requirements, started the engine, let oil pressure and temps come on-line. Taxied out to RWY 17 (KAWM - West Memphis, AR), called out my intentions and slowly advanced the throttle. At about this time in my flying the Onex, I am a bit tense due to it being something other than a Piper Cherokee and previous engine burps. But that day, all went as advertised! Climb out at 85, 90 MPH to an altitude just above pattern and stayed within glide of the runway. I leveled off at around 1,500 MSL - seemed like 3,000 MSL! Speeds indicated 125 +/- with the RPM at 3200 or so. Leaned according to temps to keep out of numbers that may melt the engine. I ran 5 laps around the airport. After the first lap, I settled in and quit being overly tense with the engine. Listened to it none-the-less, but finally felt as if I can fly my bird and enjoy what it is for. Time to adjust power and set up for landings. This is the area that pulled me back to listening to the engine. Reduce power to set up glide and speed. Adjust trim for landing, watching speeds. Downwind I attempted to maintain 90. Base was around 80 or less, then final at 65 t0 70. A little hot, but as I transitioned, my speed indicated around 55. Nailed the landing without any hard bounce or control issues with the rudder. Somebody called out on the CTAF "Nice 3-pointer". WOW. Took it back to the barn and pulled the cowl. Inspected and am still tracking a seep out of the bottom of the engine case and left push rod tube seals. Lit up that celebratory cigar and ordered my "Tricycles are for Babies" T-shirt!
Now we are talking. Just as Jeremy envisioned. A fun little fighter!
Bring on warmer weather. Phase I is definitely underway!
David F. Jones
Memphis (Mud Island), TN
Aerovee powered Onex
N153TD
Based at KAWM and in the midst of Phase 1
Stogie6

Re: Phase I Flying Report

Postby WaiexN143NM » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:46 pm

Hi david,
Great to hear your having fun! We met briefly at osh 17 , waynes 7th heaven. Wed nite sbpf bbq.
Be safe and good luck!,

WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM

Postby Bryan Cotton » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:24 pm

Great report!
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby kevinh » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:34 pm

congrats!
Taildragger Waiex in progress, tail done, wings done, about to mate wings to fuse,
then cowl, canopy, paint (photos): flush rivets, turbo aerovee, acro ailerons
(I built my RV7A and happily flew it for about 500 hrs)
kevinh

Postby SonexN76ET » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:30 pm

Congratulations! Enjoy your flights! Your confidence will grow with each flight.

Jake
Sonex Tri Gear, Rotax 912 ULS, Sensenich 3 Blade Ground Adjustable Propeller
MGL Velocity EMS, Garmin GTR 200 Comm, GTX 335 ADS B Out Transponder
ILevil AW AHRS & ADS-B In, UAvionix AV20S
200+ hours previously with Aerovee engine
Sarasota, Florida
SonexN76ET

Postby EdW » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:09 pm

David...
First of all, WHERE ARE THE PICTURES?
Congrats on the successful flight last week. Makes all the effort, sweat and blood worth the investment.
Ordered my 'kit minus tail' last week, so I will probably be making trips to KAWM to gawk and burning your phone line with stupid questions in the near future.
next...WHERE ARE THE PICTURES?

Again, congrats!

Ed
Just east of Graceland
EdW

Postby Stogie6 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:46 pm

[quote="EdW"]David...
First of all, WHERE ARE THE PICTURES?

I need to rig my GoPro to the cockpit somewhere. I usually wear my Protec SOG helmet with the GoPro attachment. I also need my own YouTube channel like Jeff Shultz!
David F. Jones
Memphis (Mud Island), TN
Aerovee powered Onex
N153TD
Based at KAWM and in the midst of Phase 1
Stogie6

Return to Onex