Flush vs standard rivets?

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Onex.

Re: Flush vs standard rivets?

Postby Gordon » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:32 am

Flush Rivet Debate........

Joe Norris got it exactly right..........build it with the standard rivets and save on the time......it takes WAY TOO LONG to build any of these airplanes so anything that will speed it up is worthwhile, including pre-built spars and machined angle extrusions. Doesn't matter how "pretty" it looks if you take too long (years) and never finish the project.

I have built an number of RV's over the last 30 years and anything but a flush solid rivet is considered a sin within the "RV cult". A "pull rivet" is the ultimate sin.......exception is the RV-12 of course, but then it has a Rotax which Richard VanGrunsven must have had a "senior moment" when he let that happen......(my opinion).

Having said all that..........I flush riveted much of my Onex AND solid rivet some of it as well (I couldn't help myself).
I am now retired so I had LOTS of time (that's my excuse).

Gordon.........Onex..........Hummel 2400
Gordon

Re: Flush vs standard rivets?

Postby SvingenB » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:22 pm

Gordon wrote:
Having said all that..........I flush riveted much of my Onex AND solid rivet some of it as well (I couldn't help myself).

Gordon.........Onex..........Hummel 2400

So did I. At places where you can use a solid rivet squeezer, it's much faster than pulled rivets, and looks much nicer. Flush vs standard, a matter of taste mostly. Flush looks faster, cleaner. Standard looks more , I don't know - Cessna :-)
Reserved LN-ENX for Onex #134
Onex build log
SvingenB

Previous

Return to Onex