VDO instruments

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Onex.

VDO instruments

Postby surfly » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:24 am

I am building a Onex and am asking if anyone has used or has an opinion about VDO instruments.
Blue Side Up,
Surfly
surfly

Re: VDO instruments

Postby Sonex1517 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:31 pm

I have several VDO gauges in my Sonex. They work, but as far as recommending them, no. I can't go that far.

My RPM and Oil Temp have proven to be poor choices. Hard to read and the RPM was finicky to set up and not at all easy to see. The oil temp may well be off quite a bit. That or a bad sender. Not sure which yet.
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
325+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

Postby SonexN76ET » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:40 pm

http://www.mglavionics.com/html/velocity_singles.html

I have the MGL Velocity Singles engine management system. This is less expensive than putting in VDO gauges and it takes up less panel space. I have been very happy with it. It is easy to set up, does not require a RDAC, and it has operated with no issues. It is simple to monitor and warns you if one of the engine parameters exceeds the range of normal operation you enter when you set it up. It also has an hour meter for recording your engine time and flight time. I bought mine from Sonex.

Jake
Sonex Tri Gear, Rotax 912 ULS, Sensenich 3 Blade Ground Adjustable Propeller
MGL Velocity EMS, Garmin GTR 200 Comm, GTX 335 ADS B Out Transponder
ILevil AW AHRS & ADS-B In, UAvionix AV20S
200+ hours previously with Aerovee engine
Sarasota, Florida
SonexN76ET

Postby daleandee » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:10 pm

SonexN76ET wrote:http://www.mglavionics.com/html/velocity_singles.html

I have the MGL Velocity Singles engine management system. This is less expensive than putting in VDO gauges and it takes up less panel space. I have been very happy with it. It is easy to set up, does not require a RDAC, and it has operated with no issues.

Agreed! I have the Engine 1 & Flight 2 MGL's in the panel and like the fact that I can retain a nearly "steam gauge" panel look and have excellent reliability and a lot of information. The only function I could not get to work correctly was the tach reading. I understand I'm not alone with that. But my install is on a Corvair so it may be different that others have. Really like the look:

FWIW,

Dale Williams
N319WF @ 6J2
Myunn - "daughter of Cleanex"
120 HP - 3.0 Corvair
Tail Wheel - Center Stick
Signature Finish 2200 Paint Job
161.6 hours / Status - Flying
Member # 109 - Florida Sonex Association
daleandee

Return to Onex