Forwad belly skin fit problems

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Onex.

Forwad belly skin fit problems

Postby N814W » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:43 pm

Anyone else have trouble with the cabin belly skin? I joined the fuselage today, and everything lined up shockingly well except the aft edge of the cabin belly skin. The whole row is a pilot hole's diameter too far forward...
C150 driver by day, OneX 204 builder by night.
Empennage done, fuselage in work...
N814W

Re: Forwad belly skin fit problems

Postby dhogue » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:48 pm

I encourage you to contact Sonex Tech Support on this one.

because

I recently finished joining the forward and aft fuselage per the plans. The belly skin pilot holes lined up with no problem.

...AFTER one issue I did experience along that line:

...The lower cross-tie (that the fore/aft bottom skins join to the internal fuselage) was bent too low on the bottom bend so the for/aft and cross-tie holes did not align (by about pilot hole's diameter) but also the bottom skins could not mate flush with the bottom longerons.

Solution: I emailed Sonex Tech Support with an explanation and picture of the area of issue. They acknowledged the part was shaped incorrectly and replaced it with no problem in a timely manner. I have had a couple of other parts that did not match details in the plans and caused issues. Once I showed Sonex, with pictures and descriptions they were quick to respond and replace them.

Hope this helps.
Don Hogue
Onex 0173: Tailwheel: AeroVee Turbo.
Horiz/Vert Stabs, Rudder/Elevators, Fwd/IB/OB/Aileron Bellcranks on Ribs and Main Fwd/Aft Center Wing Spars, Fuselage : Complete.
WIP: Wings
dhogue

Re: Forwad belly skin fit problems

Postby N814W » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:15 pm

Thanks for the feedback, Don. I've sent Kerry a message with pics.

So often I find errors in either the parts or the drawings, I never know when it's me or them with this thing...

Every other hole lined up. I rechecked side skin overlap at the top and bottom, both sides, and they're all at an inch give or take a 1/64". Even where the belly skin is cut for the tail cone taper is exactly at the seam. I was absolutely sick thinking I botched something major, but after checking, I'm pretty sure it wasn't me this time.

Thanks again for the feedback!
C150 driver by day, OneX 204 builder by night.
Empennage done, fuselage in work...
N814W

Return to Onex