Think ahead with questions for those who have gone before...

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Onex.

Re: Think ahead with questions for those who have gone befor

Postby pfhoeycfi » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:41 pm

Hi I'm getting ready to order a kit and I came across this discussion about tire size. Are the 5.00 x 5 tires and the large wheel pants an option at time of order? Or is it just a custom mod some builders have done? Recommended?

Will be flipping a coin in the next day or so to determine Onex or Waiex...

thanks...

peter h
Peter Hoey
SEL Pvt, Comm Glider, CFIG, Pawnee & L19 Towpilot
Philadelphia Glider Council
Sonex B SNB0021, N561PH, Taildragger, Aerovee Turbo, MGL MX1, First flight Dec 18, 2022
Also built Sonerai IIL N86PH
pfhoeycfi

Postby NWade » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:22 am

Peter - The Onex is great if you're cramped on storage space, or want max performance and are darned sure you never need to carry bags or another person. The Waiex can be flown with 1 person, but the Onex can't be flown with 2! :-D

--Noel
Sonex #1339
(So yeah, I'm biased) *chuckle*
NWade

Postby surfly » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:15 am

Brian,
I enjoyed reading your post as I am also building a Onex. I completed my fuse, empennage, landing gear, built my Aerovee and hung it on the firewall. Started my center wing spar and suddenly realized that with the spar, fuel tank and glare shield in place I won't be able to do any work under the fuel tank behind the firewall or behind the instrument panel simply because of space restrictions. Many other Onex builders are putting access panels in the sides of the fuse rear of the firewall. I know of one builder who cut his floor panel in half and made the whole floor forward of the landing gear removable. I have decided to complete my instrument panel at home and do all the necessary thru firewall work for cables, fuel hoses, wiring etc and finally installing the fuel tank instrument panel and glare shield last. I am buttoning everything up with rivets as the plans call for and if I ever in the future need to do any work berween the firewall and the center spar I will then open one of the sides and then install a removable panel. Enjoy!
Blue Side Up !
Surfly
surfly

Postby onex28 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:35 am

Some may consider this overkill but I installed my glareshield with nutplates. If I have ever have to pull the fuel tank or get access to anything forward, the task will be a nonissue.

David
onex28

Postby x3 skier » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:43 am

Airward has a kit with nutplates that allows for removal of the glare shield, windshield and fuel tank.

http://www.airward.com/amelia/search.as ... 881&id=900

Cheers
Onex 202, Finishing Fuselage Kit, Controls/Gear/Engine Config kit delivered.
x3 skier

Postby gcm52 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:21 pm

Google onexmike and look at his toe brake setup. I think that is the way to do brakes in a onex. I would also wait on the engine and avionics questions as long as you can. Things change a lot with both of these and it pays to wait until the last minute...(e.g., Camit going out of business)
George Mueller
Onex Trigear
Rotax 912 ULS
gcm52

Postby N814W » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:04 am

x3 skier wrote:Airward has a kit with nutplates that allows for removal of the glare shield, windshield and fuel tank.

As of yesterday, the glareshield portion is all installed. Went with solid rivets and had a few ugly ones I still need to replace, but everything fits together quite nicely. There were a few parts count discrepancies in what was provided as it appears the kit has changed from when this was first "kitted". I'm working with Dave to update the parts list & instructions per the current configuration of the Onex. Not sure when I'm going to get around to the windscreen part though...

surfly wrote: I know of one builder who cut his floor panel in half and made the whole floor forward of the landing gear removable.

I'm getting close to breaking out the rivet gun on the forward fuselage, but this sure got me thinking... While I'm adding the AirWard glareshield nutplate kit to the top side, it's definitely tempting to replicate this on the forward floor. I'm going conventional gear, so it looks like I can add a piece of 1" angle on the forward side of the two angles sitting on top of the gear with the flange facing forward, have the two skins overlap at the 1" area, and more or less add nutplates all around for that forward 14" or so of belly skin - #10 nutplates for the factory 3/16" shear bolts and then #8 (MS24694?) tapered screws around the rest of the perimeter countersinking and dimpling as necessary. 1-2 lb weight penalty, but other than the obvious time and cost (~$100), what would be a problem with this.

It sure would be helpful for installing fuel, brakes, firewall penetrations, and any future maintenance required under the tank. I appreciate leaving the belly skins both in clecos until the end, but once it's rolling on it's own legs, the aft section of the forward belly skin is pretty well tied in place. While it is around 120 screws to remove, it sure beats the heck out of just keeping the forward section peeled out of the way, drilling out rivets, or yanking everything off the top side.

I'm planning to walk it all through with a parts count tonight, but before I place the hardware order, why would this be a bad idea...?

Thanks,
-Brian
C150 driver by day, OneX 204 builder by night.
Empennage done, fuselage in work...
N814W

Postby Direct C51 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:48 am

Brian, I don't mean to be harsh, but it is these 2 lb compromises that make a Sonex 750 lb empty. I would evaluate anything that requires any extra weight at all and see if it is really needed. How often, if ever, are you going to remove all 120 screws to access through the forward bottom skin? Maybe once ever? I would hang upside down in the seat that one time instead of adding 2 lbs, not to mention the extra work and cost of all those nutplates. That being said, it's your airplane, build it exactly how you want it.
Direct C51

Postby NWade » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:45 pm

...and just to tag on to this: Even if the weight isn't a concern for you (and honestly it should be), think about the TIME this will cost you. Every nutplate is going to require 3 holes drilled instead of one, they require more precision in aligning & drilling the holes, you may need to spend time countersinking the holes (depending on nutplate style), and then you have to rivet every nutplate on with 2 rivets.

People that add time to their build tend to be the people who never finish their build. The best thing you can do for your project is to stay focused on getting it flying.

Ask yourself: What is the real major benefit of all of this extra weight and work? Will you actually be able to take advantage of this mod to do something you couldn't otherwise do? Is there another way to proceed, to avoid having to make this mod? (For example, in this case why not just alter the build order a bit and leave the floor off until right before your first flight?)

Good luck,

--Noel
NWade

Postby dirkverdonck » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:44 am

Hi All,
For what it's worth, ease of maintenance, inspection and repair is worth while a little extra work and maybe some extra weight.
It is not easy to get under the instrument panel of a Onex, singleseater!!! and therefore I made sure I had all work done in the cockpit section, included all wiring before the tank, glareshield and windscreen went in.
My glareshield is two piece installed with nutplates and screws to allow the removal of the aft part to get access to the back of the instrument panel. The instrument panel itself is also removable and installed with screws and nutplates.
To allow access to the pedals, fuel line, fuel flow sender and back of the firewall, I installed two access panels in the forward side of the cockpit section.
These modifications were fun to do and in the end, we build to enjoy ourselves, don't we?
Dirk
Onex 117
Attachments
Cockpit.JPG
204. joining cockpit-aft fuselage.JPG
Dirk Verdonck
Leffinge, Belgium
Onex #117
Taildragger, Aerovee 2.1, MGL iEFIS, TRIG radio and Transponder, electric flaps, external elevator trim, shortened wingtips, hydraulic brakes, hightened seat pan, extra inspection panels, etc
dirkverdonck

PreviousNext

Return to Onex