pilot holes

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Onex.

pilot holes

Postby johnnn » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:32 am

I am Onex 0179. I have the machined angle component upgrade. I have encountered a couple of parts that do not have pilot holes. Is there a reason for that? ONX-W19-06 (wing pivot doubler angle)(there are four of them) have 6 pilot holes on the large flange but none on the small flange (need three). Is there something here that needs to be adjusted. The plans merely show a flush fit. Why no pilot holes here?

Another part, ONX-W10-03 R/L (L/R/ outbd rear spar angle attach fitting) has no pilots on the trapezoid flange. These holes seem to be critical and if done wrong could warp the wing. i am thinking I will cleco the wing skin and then drill these pilots. Any other ideas?
johnnn

Re: pilot holes

Postby onex28 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:04 pm

Johnnn, onx W19-06 r & l are not symmetrical so you drill those holes upon fitting. The orig. dwg showed 3 holes but the 1/28/1912 revision removed them so the part could be used on either side.

Onx W10-03 you mark/drill your holes upon fitting. My original parts had drilled holes that were incorrect so I remade them from 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 angle. needless to say, I made more than one set before I was satisfied with the fit.

Hope this helps. Questions on this?
onex28

Return to Onex